Beef Pochero Recipe

Beef Pochero is a Filipino Stew similar to that of “Beef Nilaga“. This dish is complimented by the sweetness of the saba banana, and a unique sour blend is brought-in by the tomato sauce. A very enticing dish that is worth craving for; beef pochero brings out the delightful taste of our Spanish influence.

This Beef Pochero is straightforward. All you have to do is have all the ingredient on hand and follow the recipe step by step. Note that aside from the tomato sauce and banana, the chorizo de Bilbao and chick peas are determine the outcome of this dish. It is recommended that you have these ingredients available. Chinese link sausages can be used as a replacement for chorizo though.

I enjoy eating pochero because of its nice taste. It is best eaten warm along with white rice. Sometimes, I add a little fish sauce dip to add a little saltiness to it.

Try this Beef Pochero recipe and let me know what you think.

Beef Pochero

Beef Pochero Recipe

• 2 lbs beef short ribs or cubed sirloin
  • 1/2 medium cabbage, quartered
  • 1 bunch Bok choy (pechay)
  • 1 bundle long green beans (about 15 pieces)
  • 1 medium sized potato, cubed
  • 2 large plantains(saba banana), sliced
  • 3 pieces chorizo, sliced thinly
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 medium sized onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup garbanzos

1. Heat oil in the pot and fry the banana until color turns golden brown. Once done, set the bananas aside
  2. Put in the chorizo in the same pot and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes then set aside
  3. Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
  4. Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes
  5. Add the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole pepper corn and mix well
  6. Add the water and simmer until meat is tender (about 35 minutes in pressure cooker)
  7. Put-in the fried chorizo, fried banana, potato, and garbanzos and simmer for 7 minutes
  8. Add the cabbage, long green beans and simmer for 5 minutes
  9. Add the bok choy and turn off the heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes to cook the bokchoy
  10. Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!

Recommended for you

Comments

1. Hello,
    I was browsing for a simple yet very palatable beef pochero recipe and I found this. I hope I can make by tomorrow coz I have office friends visiting me and they requested for one. :-)

2. wife-to-be of mr. CUADERNO says:

hello :D gud day .. :D thank u po :D hehe dahil sa panlasanq pinoy, natuto ako maq cook :D

3. dorie beldomia says:

Hi, Sir. Panlasang Pinoy recipes was a great help for me in doing my standard recipe. I work in a restuarant and doing the research and development.. I use to test your recipes and its great.
    Keep up the good work and hope to keep in touch with you and i can say thank you personally… God bless .

4. hi!
    i really love this website!now i know na how to cook!!!hahahhha!i’m so happy!thanks chef vanjo!!

5. I like beef, pork or chicken pochero because it’s a complete meal itself, with all the veges in it makes the recipe more delicious, it’s good with rice too..

6. jazmine says:

thanks for the recipe..keep it up i wanna buy ur cook book :)

7. This site is simple and yet very fun and exciting. Thank you guys!GBY!

8. deckit says:

kuya thanks,subukan ko to sa day off ko.

9. alexandra jade says:

hey, that really looks great.. but can i use chicken instead of beef? my husband loves chicken much more that beef…. can i?

10. Rosella Dela Pena says:

Hello! I’ve tried this recipe last week and my friends especially my husband loves it. thank you so much for sharing your blessing with us.

11. hello! OMG! I made this for the first time today! It was yummy! Can’t wait for the husband to taste it! Thank you guys! Nomnomnom

PS. i substituted italian sausage instead of chorizo, it still taste great!

12. Mrs Higgind says:

hello po kuya thanks for sharing to all the recipes,and i learned a lot how to cook.god bless po!

13. Marivic says:

Hi Evelyn,

I have the same problem. I can’t find saging saba, and the plantain banana in our store was not ripe. How was your turn out without the bananas?

14. i need some ideas for what to serve (Handa) on my son’s first b-day.most of the bisitas are pinoy and adult.i dont cook much so just a simple recipe na patok sana.hope to receive email as well from you regarding this.thanks a lot in advance..

• Hi Lynn, please feel free to browse the site for our recipes. You may want to put the ones on the top post (located on the left side of the page) on your list.
      If you are asking my recommendation, why don’t you try either of the following:

Pancit Canton or Pancit Guisado or Pinoy Spaghetti
      Lumpiang Shanghai
      Lechon Kawali
      Menudo
      Beef Mechado
      Leche Flan

15. REBECCA SADSA says:

I love this site, its wonderful, it helps me how to improve my cooking knowledge and invent other taste mixing together other dishes. Complimenti!!!!!

16. terebenchina says:

wow!!kuya habang nag dedemo ka napapaindak ako sa iyong music hehehehe!!!gogogo…

17. Marissa E says:

Thank you for posting this recipe. Your cooking talent helped a lot of people specially our kababayans. I am enjoying watching your cooking videos. Thumbs up. Next time sana rellenong manok and on how to debone a chicken. thank you.

18. thank you po for sharing your gift to us. Im so excited na to try this recipe:)

19. weeeee….:) im so happy to finally have the pochero recipe…antagal ko na pong nangangarap nito:)

20. dont you have the book. so we can buy it.

21. jenny says:

good job kabayan, i realy enjoy watching your frogram
    jenny from malta

22. Its nice to know that the food looks appealing. I’ll also do a self study on photography para mas mapaganda pa ang mga images. By the way, were you able to make it? How was it?

• Marivic says:

Hi Po Kuya,

Do I need to use ripe saging saba or plantain banana for this recipe? Also, I’m using beef sausage, could not find the chorizo in our store. I got everything beside bananas :).

Thank you so much for your effort :).

God bless.

23. This looks wonderful! I know if my husband saw this, he’d want me to make it right away! :)

24. mariamalib** says:

Paborito ko toh! sana may sawsawan na malalaking talong… kasi paborito ko din yung talong.

25. kaya po pala ang ganda rin ng mga pagkakuha u ng mga pix kuya..

26. No problem evelyn kung pork ang gagamitin, mas maganda nga na sumubok tayo ng ibang variations. I’m not sure kung pochero pa rin ang itatawag natin kung walang saging na saba dahil isa ito sa mga main ingredients natin.

27. Hi Rina, sure thing. We’ll be posting Igado and Empanada soon. Hope to see you around.

#1 Paleo Recipe Book