Beef Pochero is a Filipino Stew similar to that of “Beef Nilaga“. This dish is complimented by the sweetness of the saba banana, and a unique sour blend is brought-in by the tomato sauce. A very enticing dish that is worth craving for; beef pochero brings out the delightful taste of our Spanish influence.
This Beef Pochero is straightforward. All you have to do is have all the ingredient on hand and follow the recipe step by step. Note that aside from the tomato sauce and banana, the chorizo de Bilbao and chick peas are determine the outcome of this dish. It is recommended that you have these ingredients available. Chinese link sausages can be used as a replacement for chorizo though.
I enjoy eating pochero because of its nice taste. It is best eaten warm along with white rice. Sometimes, I add a little fish sauce dip to add a little saltiness to it.
Try this Beef Pochero recipe and let me know what you think.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 6
- 2 lbs beef short ribs or cubed sirloin
- ½ medium cabbage, quartered
- 1 bunch Bok choy (pechay)
- 1 bundle long green beans (about 15 pieces)
- 1 medium sized potato, cubed
- 2 large plantains(saba banana), sliced
- 3 pieces chorizo, sliced thinly
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 cup garbanzos
- Heat oil in the pot and fry the banana until color turns golden brown. Once done, set the bananas aside
- Put in the chorizo in the same pot and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes then set aside
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
- Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole pepper corn and mix well
- Add the water and simmer until meat is tender (about 35 minutes in pressure cooker)
- Put-in the fried chorizo, fried banana, potato, and garbanzos and simmer for 7 minutes
- Add the cabbage, long green beans and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the bok choy and turn off the heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes to cook the bok choy
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: