Beef Pochero Recipe

Beef Pochero is a Filipino Stew similar to that of “Beef Nilaga“. This dish is complimented by the sweetness of the saba banana, and a unique sour blend is brought-in by the tomato sauce. A very enticing dish that is worth craving for; beef pochero brings out the delightful taste of our Spanish influence.

Beef Pochero

This Beef Pochero is straightforward. All you have to do is have all the ingredient on hand and follow the recipe step by step. Note that aside from the tomato sauce and banana, the chorizo de Bilbao and chick peas are determine the outcome of this dish. It is recommended that you have these ingredients available. Chinese link sausages can be used as a replacement for chorizo though.

I enjoy eating pochero because of its nice taste. It is best eaten warm along with white rice. Sometimes, I add a little fish sauce dip to add a little saltiness to it.

Try this Beef Pochero recipe and let me know what you think.

Beef Pochero Recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 6
  • 2 lbs beef short ribs or cubed sirloin
  • 1/2 medium cabbage, quartered
  • 1 bunch Bok choy (pechay)
  • 1 bundle long green beans (about 15 pieces)
  • 1 medium sized potato, cubed
  • 2 large plantains(saba banana), sliced
  • 3 pieces chorizo, sliced thinly
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 medium sized onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup garbanzos
  1. Heat oil in the pot and fry the banana until color turns golden brown. Once done, set the bananas aside
  2. Put in the chorizo in the same pot and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes then set aside
  3. Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
  4. Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes
  5. Add the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole pepper corn and mix well
  6. Add the water and simmer until meat is tender (about 35 minutes in pressure cooker)
  7. Put-in the fried chorizo, fried banana, potato, and garbanzos and simmer for 7 minutes
  8. Add the cabbage, long green beans and simmer for 5 minutes
  9. Add the bok choy and turn off the heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes to cook the bok choy
  10. Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
Serving size: 6

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestmail

Related Content

Comments

1. Hello,
    I was browsing for a simple yet very palatable beef pochero recipe and I found this. I hope I can make by tomorrow coz I have office friends visiting me and they requested for one. :-)

2. dorie beldomia says:

Hi, Sir. Panlasang Pinoy recipes was a great help for me in doing my standard recipe. I work in a restuarant and doing the research and development.. I use to test your recipes and its great.
    Keep up the good work and hope to keep in touch with you and i can say thank you personally… God bless .

3. hi!
    i really love this website!now i know na how to cook!!!hahahhha!i’m so happy!thanks chef vanjo!!

4. I like beef, pork or chicken pochero because it’s a complete meal itself, with all the veges in it makes the recipe more delicious, it’s good with rice too..

5. jazmine says:

thanks for the recipe..keep it up i wanna buy ur cook book :)

6. This site is simple and yet very fun and exciting. Thank you guys!GBY!

7. alexandra jade says:

hey, that really looks great.. but can i use chicken instead of beef? my husband loves chicken much more that beef…. can i?

8. Rosella Dela Pena says:

Hello! I’ve tried this recipe last week and my friends especially my husband loves it. thank you so much for sharing your blessing with us.

9. hello! OMG! I made this for the first time today! It was yummy! Can’t wait for the husband to taste it! Thank you guys! Nomnomnom

PS. i substituted italian sausage instead of chorizo, it still taste great!

10. Mrs Higgind says:

hello po kuya thanks for sharing to all the recipes,and i learned a lot how to cook.god bless po!

11. Marivic says:

Hi Evelyn,

I have the same problem. I can’t find saging saba, and the plantain banana in our store was not ripe. How was your turn out without the bananas?

12. Hi Lynn, please feel free to browse the site for our recipes. You may want to put the ones on the top post (located on the left side of the page) on your list.
    If you are asking my recommendation, why don’t you try either of the following:

Pancit Canton or Pancit Guisado or Pinoy Spaghetti
    Lumpiang Shanghai
    Lechon Kawali
    Menudo
    Beef Mechado
    Leche Flan

13. REBECCA SADSA says:

I love this site, its wonderful, it helps me how to improve my cooking knowledge and invent other taste mixing together other dishes. Complimenti!!!!!

14. thank you po for sharing your gift to us. Im so excited na to try this recipe:)

15. cynthia isip says:

dont you have the book. so we can buy it.

16. Its nice to know that the food looks appealing. I’ll also do a self study on photography para mas mapaganda pa ang mga images. By the way, were you able to make it? How was it?

• Marivic says:

Hi Po Kuya,

Do I need to use ripe saging saba or plantain banana for this recipe? Also, I’m using beef sausage, could not find the chorizo in our store. I got everything beside bananas :).

Thank you so much for your effort :).

God bless.

17. This looks wonderful! I know if my husband saw this, he’d want me to make it right away! :)

18. Hi Rina, sure thing. We’ll be posting Igado and Empanada soon. Hope to see you around.