Escabeche is a type of sweet and sour fish recipe. There are many version of Escabeche around. This version that we have here is probably the most simple of all. However, the taste will not be as simple as it seems because this recipe has all the good flavors in it.
Not to be mistaken as Ceviche — which is a South American favorite that makes use of raw fish — like kilawin. Filipino Escabeche requires the fish to be fried and cooked in vinegar.
I grew-up eating different kinds of fish. I enjoy both fried fish dishes and fish dishes with sauce. I am always excited to have this dish because I personally think that the result of fried fish being cooked in any type of sauce is truly amzing. You get the good flavor of the sauce while enjoying the texture of the fish — which is not too soft at all. Having escabeche is like eating fried fish with a hint of atchara.
How do you like your fish cooked?
Try this Escabeche Recipe and let me know what you think.
Fish Escabeche Recipe
- 1 large fish 1 to 2 lbs, cleaned and salted
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan then fry both sides of the fish until a bit crispy. Set aside.
- Heat a clean pan and pour-in the vinegar. Let boil.
- Add sugar, whole peppercorn, and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in the onion and red bell pepper. Stir and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle salt and then stir.
- Put-in the fried fish. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn-off heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: