Leche Flan Recipe

Leche Flan (also known as crème caramel and caramel custard) is a dessert made-up of eggs and milk with a soft caramel on top. This dessert is known throughout the world (especially in Europe) and has been in the dessert menu of most restaurants because of its convenience in preparation and long shelf life.

In the Philippines, Leche Flan is the top dessert of all time. During celebrations such as parties and town fiestas, the dining table won’t be complete without it.I remember the Leche Flan that my Lola Belen makes when I was still living in Las Pinas. It really tasted so rich and heavenly; everyone in our family always requests her to make leche flan during special occasions. As for me, I’m still lucky because my wife knows how to make a good one too (this is actually her recipe). If I did it my way (not the song…please), you might be having Leche Flan that tastes like Egg Pie instead.

Leche Flan

We were trying to search for a llanera or the oblong shape tin container that is normally used to make Leche Flan in the Philippines, but we cannot locate one from our local stores. We ended up getting a round baking pan online. It was worth it though and we were able to make many delicious cake varieties from it too.

Try this Leche Flan Recipe and let me know what you think.

Leche Flan Recipe

• 10 pieces raw eggs
  • 1 small can condensed milk
  • 1 cup fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
  2. Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater
  3. Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly
  4. Pour-in the fresh milk and mix well
  5. Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire
  6. Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. Note: Sometimes it is hard to find a Llanera (Traditional flan mold) depending on your location. I find it more convenient to use individual Round Pans in making leche flan.
  7. Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold
  8. Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold
  9. Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil
  10. Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
  11. After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate
  12. Serve for dessert. Share and Enjoy!

Comments

1. Harry Oznat says:

I tried to follow exactly amount of ingredients the recipe called for. The recipe needs 10 pieces raw eggs, but the video tutorial shows only 9 egg yolks, are we reserving the other one for use somewhere? Thanks for your clarification.

2. Doris Tolentino says:

what will happen to the egg whites , is it can be using in other recipe can you give me a recipe that I can be used it?

• Doris, you can use the egg whites to do other dishes. I simply use the whites as fried eggs every morning for a high dose of protein. You can also it to make omelets.

3. Hi sir Vanjo, ask ko lang po, yung evap o fresh milk, yung 1 cup po is 180ml, kc p may mga measuring cup sa ng 1 cup
    is 240ml. i am using rice cooker measuring cup. pls reply to my Q. thank u po.

• Hi Nur, I am using US cup in all the recipes here. I tried to google its volume in milliliters and it turned out to be 236.588 ml. The 240 ml. cup is the way to go.

4. Nicole says:

Kuya,

Duon po ba sa my sugar. After mong ma-melt ung sugar youll turn off the heat then wait for 5 minutes? And meron pa po bang alternate way sa pag-steam ng leche flan? Thank you :)

5. Alejandria says:

You’re an angel!!!!! We tried lots of Leche flan recipe, but always a failure. When we tried your recipe last New year(2014), its the BEST! We tried it again because we thought its tsamba lang, but its not. No lumps, not too sweet, creamy taste. Thank you :-) My Family is super happy.

6. rey domingo says:

Hello!
    It’s my first time to visit the site and I find it very easy and turned out a good tastebuds satisfier!
    I love this site!

7. Ma'am Connie says:

I enjoyed watching your videos and looking at some recipes here that are really so easy to follow. I hope I can try these recipes when I have time… Keep on posting more..

8. juz wonderin’ wat will happen if i will not separate the egg white and the yolk? will it still be a flan? thanks!

9. i love your recipes and i constantly try them. can you please come up with a capampangan tamales recipe? they are the best!

10. Thank you so much! I did the exactly what you said and tastes sooo goood! This is my first time to cook this and my sister & my nieces love it! Thank you ulit kuya Vanjo! ^_^ more power to you! I’ll always visit your whenever I need it! Hahaha!

11. Posh Kammish says:

Hi planning to bake this in the oven, since I don’t have a steamer. What is the temperature & the baking time? I will b using a leche flan oblong mold “llanera”. It’s been sitting in my cabinet & thought I would finally use it.

12. eugene says:

Kuya.kung hindi ka ggamit ng condense milk ksi some people having an allergy with milk products.ano po bang e substitute for condense milk.pwde po bang more cups of sugar nkbg ilagay? On how many cups of sugar para equivalent sya sa 1can of condense milk?

• Eugene, Soy milk can be an alternative. However, this can affect the outcome in terms of taste — but it is still tolerable.

13. Ma-an says:

hi! is it possible of not including in the ingredients, i mean the vanilla syrup?

14. Thanks for the recipe. I like your instructional info it’s simple and looks easy to make. Can’t wait to make some leche flan.

15. oyoyoyoyoyoy says:

what’s the measurement of the fresh milk or evaporated milk ? And if i’ll cook this in the oven, is there anything that i need to do ?

16. Daisy D. Huhges says:

i love cooking and your website always gives me the best idea on how and what. Thanks to you.

17. recil samonte says:

nice and easy, i find it very helpful while preparing leche plan, i was so nervous because my mother in law will visit us, and i need to prepare dishes and desert as well, your website is a great help ..more power .. thanks

18. Virginia Ballester Biermann Madsen says:

Thanks a lot for this wonderful desert recipe.

19. elizabeth ducut says:

I tried this recipee last night and it’s a success! just added some lemon rinds on top before puting on to steam. the waiting hour for the caramel to totally melt is worth the wait thou. I’d like to try adding some bits of jackfruit next time to add flavors just like my mother-in-law’s way.

thanks for sharing!

20. i want to eat leche plan
    it is so very yummy

21. hi, if i’ll cook this in the oven, should i cover the leche flan with aluminum foil? thanks alot

22. Thanks for the tips jen. Keep them coming.

23. daisy says:

oh so tasty!! my first time and i am now following your recipes so simple to follow since i am beginner and been here in uk for 3months..amazing website for filipinos who are beginners and living in abroad. more power!!

24. maritess says:

hi…. i like the way you cook kasi it so easy to follow. i like panlasang pinoy. more power to you

25. Lorna says:

Can I use fresh milk instead of condense?

26. linda bautista says:

I’ve tried many version ofleche plan recipes, but this one is the perfect recipe for me. Hurray!I am an employee retiree now, so i have lots of time to cook and bake. Thank you