Oven Baked Leche Flan is a version of the popular Filipino leche flan dessert dish made by baking in the oven, instead of the traditional method of steaming. This creamy and delicious custard dish has a smooth texture and the right amount of sweetness.
I like this method of cooking leche flan for many reasons. One reason has something to do with the type and size of mold that I can use. I am not limited to llanera any more; ramekins, cake pans, and other oven-safe molds can be used as long as these fits in the oven (just make sure that a large tray with water is under it to serve as water bath). This also means that I can cook more leche flan at the same time. It is ideal if you intend to serve flan to many people.
I mentioned water bath earlier. This refers to a wide and somewhat deep container that you place your mold (with flan) into while baking. The idea is for the mold to be a bit submerged in water while baking to prevent the custard from cracking. When I am making several leche flans to serve to a large group, arranging the molds in roasting pans (like what I showed in the video below) sometimes do not work because I needed more roasting pans to submerge the molds into. What I do is fill-up a wide baking tray (18 x 26) with water and put it on the rack below where my multiple molds are arranged in the oven. The molds are not directly submerged in water, but it works.
Enjoy this yummy treat for dessert. Happy cooking to you!
Try this Oven Baked Leche Flan Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Oven Baked Leche Flan Recipe
- 12 egg yolks
- ¾ cups granulated white sugar
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups water hot
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Heat a saucepan in stovetop. Add the sugar. Continue to cook until is starts to melt. Adjust the heat to low and cook while gradually stirring until sugar turns into caramel.
- Pour the caramel into individual ramekins or llanera (or whatever mold you are using). Let the caramel cool down. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the condensed milk while beating.
- Slowly pour the fresh milk into the mixing bowl and then add the vanilla extract. Beat until all the mixture becomes smooth.
- Pour the mixture into each ramekin or mold with caramel. Cover the mold with aluminum foil.
- Arrange the covered molds in a roasting tray. Note: it will be better if the molds are a bit elevated. You can place a short wire rack into the roasting tray and arrange the molds over the wire rack.
- Pour boiling water into the roasting tray until the water level reaches 1 to 1 ½ inches.
- Bake the leche flan for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool down.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!