Yema Ball Recipe

Yema is a type of custard candy made from egg yolks and condensed milk. This is a common Filipino dessert and one of the easiest to make. The ingredients needed are readily available and this does not require a lot of cooking and preparation time. Yema Balls are ball-shaped yema that are perfect for dessert.

Yema Balls

There are several ways to present this dessert – the most common is the use of colored cellophane. The mixture is scooped and placed inside individually cut cellophane then manually molded until the shape becomes pyramid-like. Others roll the mixture until the shape becomes spherical and place them in a small paper cup or use some frill picks to go with it. Majority just eat it as it cools :)

Try this Yema Ball recipe. Let me know what you think.

Yema Ball Recipe

• 3 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3 tbsp peanuts, chopped
  1. Place the butter in a heated saucepan and allow to melt
  2. Stir-in the condensed milk and allow to cook for 3 minutes
  3. Add the egg yolks then continue stirring for 2 minutes
  4. Set the heat to medium and put-in the chopped peanuts then stir until the mixture becomes thick (about 15 to 20 minutes). Adjust heat to low when texture is about to be achieved.
  5. Turn-off the heat and allow the mixture to cool down
  6. When the temperature of the mixture is tolerable, scoop a spoonful then roll with your hands to form a sphere (ball shape).
  7. Transfer to a serving dish and apply your desired presentation
  8. Serve. Share and Enjoy!

ย

Related Content

Comments

1. janice says

Hello kuya!i love ur videos…i learned a lot from u!nwez,just wanna ask if i can use walnuts instead of peanuts?ehhe..we just ate our peanuts so ubos na..walnuts lang ang available..or can i prepare this yema balls without peanuts?thanks for uploading cooking videos..it helps me and the others..good job always! God bless and to ur family…

• conn cosio says

Hi chef! I tried this one..yummy xa! :)
      although di xa katulad nun lasa ng yema na shaped ng triangle,but it’s good!
      Do u have the recipe for the triangle shaped yema?
      thanx! and more power!

2. suzette says

Hi! how many days the yema will last? If not consumed right away, do I need to refrigerate?

Thanks. More power.

3. Corazon Aquino Fister says

19 yrs. ko ng hinahanap ang recipe ng yema, I’m so glad I finally found it…thanks to you and blessed your heart…

4. Kimi says

Hi Kuya, I’m your #1 fan! I’m a beginner at cooking but watching your videos inspired me on how to cook filipino food. I’m abroad right now and my parents always thought I can never live by myself since I didn’t know how to cook, but now I can show them that I cannot only cook, but I can cook our traditional dishes!

I have a few questions:

1) I’d like to know why you use 3 egg yolks instead of 2? Can I use 2?

2) I’d like to experiment a bit with the yema balls and add coconut cream powder. When do you add the coconut powder into the mix?

3) Would coconut cream be better than shredded coconut?

P.S. I <3 your website! ^^

5. says

Hello everybody, I found this recipe via a link in the comments on smitten kitchen and ran to check it out as I’m a big fan of this kind of candy. I was in Spain some years ago and tasted Yemas de Avila right out of the nunnery’s sweet shop :) and I loved them so much I tried to make them at home from a recipe found on the web. They came out delicious and very similar-looking to yours, but the recipe only called for yolks and sugar (and a bit of water to turn the sugar into syrup). The final result is tasty although quite funny – feels like a hard-boiled yolk, only much softer and of course very sugary. Could this be the recipe for “dry” yemas you mentioned in a comment above? thank you very much and congrats on your blog, I’m off to have a good look :)

6. Greg Leffew says

Hello Sir! I was wondering what type of condensed milk are you using? because i tried evaporated and it definitely was not the right one.

7. says

hi kuya..me and my hubby are your fun…we are never a good cook but with your video we learned a lot..lagi kami nanonood sa mga recipies mo…they are really great! fav ko young maja blanca mo..at my hubby is loving your crispy pata!! my fam.love them…actually dami namin na try..Thanks!! you and your site is such a great blessing!!God bless you more!! glad to find your site..

8. Alvin Swan says

Thanks for this mouth-watering dessert. I made some innovations on the presentation. After rolling them into bite-size balls and putting toothpicks on, I deep them one by one on a melted caramelized sugar until each one was fully covered. When they were cooled down it gave the yemas a lustrous burnt crystal covering.

All I can say is, it was super!

Again thanks….