Morcon is a Filipino meat roll stuffed with sausage or hotdogs, carrots, pickles, cheese, and egg. This is considered as a holiday dish and is usually served during Christmas and New Year’s eve.
In our family, we make sure that Morcon is always present in our Media Noche because of our belief that serving round shaped foods can help make one’s life prosperous in the coming year . Christmas is about to come and New Year is just around the corner. I want to personally greet you an advanced Merry and Blessed Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
I hope that this recipe can be of help in your holiday menu planning. Stay Healthy everyone and keep on cooking!!!Try this Morcon Recipe
- 2 lbs beef eye of round or flank steak, ¾ inch thick in one piece
- 2 pieces beef cubes dissolved in 3 cups boiling water (beef stock/broth)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 piece lemon
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 piece medium sized carrot, cut into long strips
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 4 pieces hotdogs, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 pieces pickled dill or sweet pickled cucumber, cut lengthwise divided into 4 equal pieces
- 3 pieces hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, cut in strips (about ½ inch thick)
- Marinate the beef in soy sauce and lemon juice for at least 1 hour
- Place the beef in a flat surface and arrange the hotdogs, pickle, carrot, cheese, and egg on one side
- Roll the beef enclosing the fillings and tie with a cooking string to ensure that the meat will not open-up
- Place cooking oil in a pan and apply heat
- Dredge the rolled beef in flour and fry until the color of the outer part turns medium brown
- Transfer the fried rolled beef in a casserole and pour-in the beef broth then bring to a boil
- Pour-in half of the soy sauce-lemon juice marinade,salt and simmer until the beef is tender (about 2 hours using ordinary casserole or 30 minutes if a pressure cooker is used)
- Optional: Fry the simmered meat for at least 2 minutes
- Remove the strings and slice into serving pieces
- Place in a serving dish and add the sauce.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Morcon