Kalderetang Kambing is goat meat stewed in tomato sauce. The adult goat meat, Chevon, is commonly used for this dish. The meat is sautéed with garlic, onions, and tomatoes then stewed in tomato sauce until it becomes tender.
Preparing goat meat requires some extra procedures compared to beef or pork. Since goat meat is gamey, a common practice to eliminate the odor and gamey flavor is to marinate it in vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper mixture for an hour or two before cooking.
Compared to the other Kaldereta dishes (sometimes spelled as Caldereta), Kalderetang Kambing is considered more special. It is commonly served in special occasions such as town fiestas and birthday parties (usually for grown-ups). It also goes well as an appetizer (pulutan) and is best when beer is around.
Try this Kalderetang Kambing recipe.
Kalderetang Kambing recipe
- 1 lb goat meat (chevon), cubed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 piece medium-sized onion, minced
- 3 pieces medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili or fresh Thai chili (optional)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, sliced
- 6 tablespoon liver spread
- 3/4 cup Spanish green olives (optional)
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 piece large carrot, cubed
- 1 piece medium-sized potato, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Watch the cooking video:
- Combine the vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper in a large bowl then marinate the goat meat for at least an hour (This should eliminate the gamey smell and taste of the meat) then separate the meat from the marinade.
- Pour the cooking oil in a cooking pot or casserole and apply heat.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomatoes
- Add the marinated goat meat then cook until the color of the outer part turns light brown
- Put-in the tomato sauce and crushed chili then allow to cook for 2 minutes
- Add the water and allow to boil. Simmer for at least 45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the liver spread and cook for 5 minutes (You may add water if the sauce seems to dry up)
- Put-in the potatoes and carrots then simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the olives and bell pepper then simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4