Adobong Kambing is a goat dish wherein goat meat is tenderized and cooked using the popular Filipino Adobo style. Soy sauce and vinegar are the core components of adobo; this means that any meat or seafood can be cooked using this style as long as the core ingredients are present.
The outcome of this Adobong Kambing Recipe, in particular, is often consumed as an appetizer or “pulutan”. In the Philippines, there are specialty restaurants or eateries called “kambingan” that specialize mainly in goat dishes.
Goat meat is not for everyone; there are people who do not want goat meat because of its overpowering smell. Removal of the unwanted odor still remains to be the toughest challenge when preparing goat dishes. However, there are some proven techniques that we can apply to lessen (if not neutralize) the strong odor.
As detailed in this post, boiling the meat with ginger and onions helps lessen the odor of goat meat. You may also soak the meat in vinegar before cooking as shown in the Kalderetang Kambing post.
Do you like eating goat meat? What techniques do you apply in removing the strong odor of the meat? What is your Adobong Kambing Recipe version?
Try this Adobong Kambing recipe and let me know what you think.
Adobong Kambing Recipe
- Pour 3 cups of water in a cooking pot and put-in ginger, onion, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add the goat meat and simmer until the meat is tender.
- Turn off the heat, drain the water, and separate the meat from other ingredients. Set aside.
- Pour-in cooking oil in a wok or a frying pan then apply heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic and fry until the color turns light brown.
- Add the goat meat and pan fry until the outer part turns light brown.
- Add soy sauce, 1 cup water, crushed peppercorns, and dried bay leaves then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and let boil. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Put-in the dried chilies (if desired) and simmer until the sauce becomes thick.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: