Sweet and Sour Sauce is a sauce made by combing a sweet component and a sour component with cornstarch as the thickening agent. Some of the common sweet components are brown sugar, granulated white sugar, and honey. Rice vinegar, white vinegar, apple-cider vinegar, and pineapple juice are some of the common ingredients used as sour component.This sweet and sour recipe will give you a good sauce with the right balance of flavors.
The thing that I like most about this Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe is its ease in preparation — not to mention the fact that it does not take much time to make one. It also saves me money; instead of buying commercialized Sweet and Sour Sauce from the store, I make one for myself and my family with less than half of the cost.
This Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe is best used for fried and breaded meat like pork, chicken, and fish.
Try this Sweet and sour Sauce Recipe and let me know what you think.
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2½ tablespoons tomato ketchup
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 5 teaspoons of water
- Combine the sugar, ketchup, vinegar, and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Mix the combined ingredients using a balloon whisk or fork.
- Heat a saucepan then pour-in the sugar-ketchup-vinegar-soy sauce mixture. Stir once in a while and bring to a boil.
- Pour-in the cornstarch diluted in water then continue stirring until the texture becomes thick.
- Turn of the heat and transfer the sweet and sour sauce to a sauce bowl then serve.