Chocolate Rice puff or popped rice are grains of rice that are popped and dehydrated. This is often mixed with sweeteners such as sugar or corn syrup and eaten as breakfast cereals. There is a popular snack in the Philippines called “ampaw” which is made from sweetened popped rice.I’m not planning to post a recipe using rice puffs until I noticed several open boxes of puffed rice cereals that my kids eat during breakfast. You know the kids – they want to try every cereal that they see on TV. One box is due to expire in 3 days and I don’t want it to go to waste – so I thought of an idea on how to let my kids consume the rice puff cereal before it becomes stale.
“Ampaw” was the first thing that came into my mind – but how can I make ampaw out of puffed rice cereals? I started thinking on possible sweet binders that I may use to hold the rice puffs together. I also did some research and found out that it was not as complicated as I was expecting. Since puffed rice cereals are already sweetened, I thought of using a liquid binder that is not too sweet. Light corn syrup was the best ingredient that I came-up along with some brown sugar to balance the sweetness.
If you want just the right amount of sweetness, I suggest that you try using unsweetened popped rice instead of the boxed rice puff cereals. I tried using this recipe using Kellogg’s cocoa krispies and rice krispies– both turned out perfect.
Let me know your thoughts. I will greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 4
- 3 cups rice puffs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat a large sauce pan then put-in the butter and allow it to melt.
- Once the butter melts, add the light corn syrup and brown sugar then stir to distribute the ingredients.
- When the mixture starts to boil, add the rice puffs then mix well until the rice puffs are completely coated with the liquid mixture.
- Turn off the heat then allow the rice puffs to cool down.
- Wet your hands then scoop about ¼ cup of rice puff mixture then mold into a ball shape figure.
- Place in a serving plate then serve. Share and enjoy!