Taho is a Philippine street food sold by peddlers known as “magtataho”. It is a soft gelatin-like snack made from processed soybeans topped with caramel and tapioca pearls (locally called sago).What we have here is a homemade version of this popular Filipino street food. Instead of processing soy beans, we will make use of extra soft tofu or soft silken tofu which is readily available in most major supermarkets. We will also be needing tapioca pearls and brown sugar to complete our list.
I got this idea after posting the Tahô article in our Pinoy Street Food category. A good friend from Michigan commented on Facebook (since all posted articles automatically generates an RSS feed in our Facebook page) informing us on how she usually does her homemade taho.
I am aware that making one is a labor intensive task especially on the soy bean processing part. Since I like doing things from scratch (which has its pros and cons), I never thought of looking for other alternatives. Who knew that using extra soft tofu is the answer – I honestly had no idea. This is one good example on how we benefit from your comments. To all those who commented and gave their suggestions and opinions, thank you. Please keep them coming.
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: 3
- 22 ounces extra soft tofu
- 1¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup uncooked sago pearls (you can also make sago using this other sago recipe)
- 4½ cups water
- Pour 4 cups of water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Put-in the tapioca pearls and cook for 40 minutes in medium heat.
- Add ¼ cup brown sugar and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and let the sago pearls sit on the cooking pot until room temperature is achieved. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepan then pour-in ½ cup of water.
- Put-in 1 cup of brown sugar once the water starts to boil. Mix well and simmer until the mixture becomes thick. Set aside.
- Transfer the extra soft tofu in a glass or mug then heat in a microwave oven for a minute.
- Top the extra soft tofu with the cooked tapioca pearls and sweet syrup.
- Serve warm. Share and Enjoy