Kung Pao Shrimp is a spicy Chinese shrimp dish made from prawns or medium size shrimps. This dish is similar to the famed Kung Pao Chicken although some cooking procedure varies. The Kung Pao sauce gives life and flavor to this dish. Ingredients such as soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, cornstarch, sugar, and water are necessary for you to be able to make your own homemade Kung Pao sauce.
This is one of my favorite Asian dishes because of its unique flavor and spice. I like the kick of the dried chilies and the crunchy texture of the peanuts. In my opinion, these ingredients bring more value to the dish.
The best way to eat kung pao shrimp is to top it over hot steamed rice. The rice help reduce the spice and it also balances the flavor. If you are looking for more taste and texture, eating this with fried rice would be a good idea. Before making your fried rice, make sure to check out our tips for best results.
Try this Kung Pao Shrimp Recipe and let us know what you think.
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: 3
- 1 lb. shrimps, cleaned and head removed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 ounces roasted peanuts
- 10 pieces dried chilies
- 1 small onion, quartered
- ¼ cup green onions; cut in half inch length
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Make the Kung Pao sauce by first diluting the cornstarch in 4 tbsp water then combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and the diluted cornstarch. Mix well then set aside.
- Heat a wok then pour-in cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, add-in the garlic and ginger then stir fry until the color turns medium brown. The aroma should indicate that the next ingredients need to be added.
- Put-in the dried chilies, bell pepper, and onion and stir fry for 2 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables are done.
- Add the peanuts and stir-fry for a minute.
- Put-in the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour-in the Kung Pao sauce and stir. Make sure that all the ingredients are coated with sauce.
- Add the green onions, turn off the heat, and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: