Ginataang Langka refers to unripe jackfruit cooked in coconut milk. This ginataang langka recipe is a must try. Although jackfruits are considered fruits, unripe ones have the same attributes as vegetables; this was the reason why jackfruit in this recipe is treated as such. As for the flavor, much of it comes from the salted dried fish (locally known as daing); I also like using shrimp cube to add more taste to this dish.
I am not a big fan of jackfruit and anything cooked in coconut milk when I was a child. However, things changed when this dish was introduced to me during our vacation in Romblon (which is the hometown of my parents). Electricity is a luxury during those days and having dinner means eating by the candle light. I tried all the dishes served on the table because the dark did not give me the option to visually qualify the food in front of me. After trying Ginataang Langka, I immediately loved it; it wasn’t until when my plate was all cleaned-up when I learned that the delicious dish that I enjoyed is called “utan nga langka”.
After doing some experimentation later on, I learned that using toasted anchovies (sinangag na dilis) also works well with ginataang langka.
Try this Ginataang Langka recipe and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb unripe jackfruit; peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 piece shrimp cube
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- ¾ cup tomatoes, diced
- 3 to 5 pieces red chilies
- 3 cups coconut milk
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup fried dried fish (daing), bones removed
- Heat a wok or a cooking pot and pour-in the coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes while continuously stirring the mixture.
- Put-in the tomatoes and red chilies. Continue stirring to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the fried dried fish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in water and allow re-boiling.
- Add the chopped jackfruit then mix with the other ingredients. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Put-in the shrimp cube then stir to ensure that the ingredients are properly distributed. Simmer until the liquid dries up.
- Transfer to a serving plate then serve.
- Share and enjoy!