One quick and easy dinner that you can make for your family is Sweet and Sour Meatballs. As the name suggests, this is a meatball dish with sweet and sour sauce. There are several ways to make the sweet and sour sauce; one example is the recipe that we have for the Sweet and Sour Tilapia while another is the basic Sweet and Sour Sauce recipe that we used for Sweet and Sour Pork – this recipe is entirely different from the rest.
Kids are so picky with their meals. They like fried dishes and they won’t eat any food that they are not familiar with. Since kids love meatballs, this recipe will surely build your kid’s appetite especially when they tasted the pineapple chunk that goes along with the dish.As for the meatballs, the recipe asks for ground pork but feel free to use ground beef or chicken depending on your preference or availability of ingredients. You might notice that the meatball for this recipe is composed of basic ingredients. If you want to take the meatballs to the next level, you can always use the meatball recipe in our Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe post.
Try this Sweet and Sour Meatballs recipe and let us know what you think.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 piece raw egg
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 cup bell pepper (red and green combined)
- 1 medium sized onion, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch diluted in 3 tablespoons of water
- 8 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground pork, minced onion, salt, ground black pepper, egg, and bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly.
- Scoop about 1 to 2 tablespoons of mixture and form into a ball shaped figure. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan then pour-in 6 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, pan-fry the ball-shaped mixture until the outer side turns brown.
- Once done, turn off the heat and transfer the fried meatballs on a serving plate or bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a separate cooking pot then pour-in remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, sauté the garlic.
- Add the quartered onion, sliced carrot, and bell peppers then cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pineapple chunks and cook for 1 minute.
- Put-in the tomato ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar then stir.
- Pour-in water and let boil.
- Add the cornstarch diluted in water and cook until desired thickness is reached.
- Turn off heat then ladle the sauce over the pan-fried meatballs.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: