Spaghetti and Meatballs is a favorite in our household. This family recipe that I am sharing today is composed of cheesy and juicy meatballs with a meaty tasting marinara sauce.
How to Make Spaghetti and Meatballs
There are three parts in making it. The first is to make the meatballs, next is to prepare the sauce, and lastly is to cook the spaghetti.
The meatballs are quick and easy to make. It is also interesting because I had a piece of cheese in the center of each meatball.
I am using both ground beef and ground pork for this recipe. Combining these meats together is ideal for flavor and texture reasons. Start to make the meatballs by mixing the meats along with bread crumbs, egg, and the seasonings found on the ingredients list in the recipe section. Add Parmesan cheese and mix everything together until well blended.
An ice cream scoop is an nice tool to use to measure the amount of meat mixture. It also makes the job easier. Scoop an spoonful of meat mixture and put a cube of cheese in the middle. Mold the mixture to shape like a ball. You will need to do this particular step over and over until the mixture is consumed.
Frying the meatballs is the next step. I like using extra virgin olive oil for this step. Simply pan-fry the meatballs while moving every 40 seconds or so until it browns. No need to cook completely as it will still be added to the sauce to cook further.
Cook the spaghetti by following the instructions in the package. Once done, arrange it on a plate and top with sauce and meatballs.
Spaghetti and Meatballs Tomato Sauce Recipe
Speaking about the sauce, we are making a meaty Marinara sauce for this recipe. Most of you know that Marinara sauce is a quick sauce with garlic and basil. I want my sauce to be meaty, so I added a piece of Knorr Pork Cube in it. It is amazing how small things can help make something more interesting.
Re-using the olive oil is a good idea. It already absorbed the flavors from the meatball and can help make the sauce taste meatier. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add stewed tomato followed by tomato sauce. These are all canned. Fresh crushed tomato can also be used to make Marinara sauce. I cook the sauce in low to medium heat for 20 minutes.
This is the part when I add the pork cube. Gently out it on the sauce and let it work its wonders. A sprig or two of basil are added afterwards.
Finally, add the fried meatballs in the meaty sauce and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
What goes with Spaghetti and Meatballs
I like to eat my spaghetti and meatballs with a slice of garlic bread. It brings-in additional flavor to the meal, which makes it more enjoyable to eat.
Garlic bread can be purchased in your local supermarket. You also have the option to make one at home. Here is a good homemade garlic bread recipe that you can use as a guide.
A side of vegetables also works well. Steamed green beans, roasted asparagus, and spinach salad are few examples.
How to Reheat Spaghetti and Meatballs in Microwave
Chances are that you cooked more than enough pasta. Don’t worry, you can still refrigerate this and reheat for tomorrow.
Keep in my to always place the leftovers in a covered or sealed container. This will prevent it from spoiling. I use either a pyrex glassware with cover or a ziplock freezer bag.
A piece of paper towel comes handy when it comes to reheating. It helps keep the heat around the food while preventing it from splattering. Dip the paper towel in water good enough for it to be damp. We don’t want a towel soaked in water, so squeezing it thoroughly will help. Place a serving of spaghetti and meatball in a bowl and cover completely with damp paper towel. Microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
Try this Spaghetti and Meatball Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1/2 lb. Spaghetti
- 6 cups water for boiling
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 piece egg
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 12 pieces Cheddar cheese cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Meaty Marinara Sauce:
- 14 oz. Stewed tomato
- 14 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 piece Knorr Beef Cube
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 pieces basil leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the meatballs by combining ground beef and pork in a mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs, half of the minced garlic, egg, Parmesan cheese, salt, and ground black pepper. Mix everything together until all ingredients are well distributed.
- Scoop around 3 tablespoons of meat mixture. Put a cube of cheese in the middle. Roll into a ball. Do the same procedure until all the mixture is completely consumed.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Fry the meatballs until brown. Remove from the pan. Set aside.
- Prepare the meaty marinara sauce. Saute onion and garlic on the remaining olive oil used to fry the meatballs.
- Add stewed tomato and tomato sauce. Stir. Cover and cook between low to medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add Knorr Pork Cube. Stir. Put the fresh basil into the pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the meatballs back into the cooking pot. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Arrange the cooked spaghetti on a pasta bowl or a plate. Top with sauce and meatballs. Add more Parmesan cheese on top. Serve. Share and enjoy!