Braised beef is a delicious dish that I consider as a comfort food. Braising is a method wherein meat such as beef is simmered with enough liquid or moisture for a long time. This cooking technique does not only make the meat tender, it also lets the meat release its maximum flavor.
Braised Beef is a very tasty dish that requires minimum effort. For those of you who are just starting to learn how to cook, this is one of the ideal recipes that I can recommend. All you need are the ingredients and some extra time and patience. I’m sure that your family and friends will be impressed with what you’ll be serving them.
So, when your friends say “This dish was really awesome, we have no idea that you can cook”. Tell them “Me either, I was surprised too. All I did was to imagine that I am a good cook. That book I read about self development and positive thinking really works!” Then give them a wink.
I suggest that you also check out our beef with broccoli for other options.
Try this Braised Beef recipe and let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs beef chuck or brisket, cubed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in olive oil.
- Sauté onion until soft and add dried thyme then put-in beef and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in red wine and bring to a boil.
- Pour-in the beef stock and simmer until the beef becomes tender. This can be done using the following methods:
- Slow cook for 4 to 5 hours using a Crockpot; Cooking in low heat using stovetop or burner; note that 2 to 2½ hours is the average time to tenderize the meat and try to add water as needed; If you don’t have the time, you may pressure cook the meat for 40 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery then cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a serving plate then serve.