Grilled Tilapia is one of my favorite Tilapia Recipe. There are many ways to grill tilapia; this variation requires the fish to be wrapped securely in aluminum foil to trap the juice producing a very flavorful grilled fish with a texture similar to steamed fish.
Another common method of grilling tilapia is by placing the fish directly in a grill without any wrapper. Scales are not removed from the fish to prevent the skin from sticking on the grill.
There is also a unique method of cooking that I witnessed when I went to the municipality of Taal in Batangas. A flat metal sheet is heated-up then the newly caught fish is directly placed on top of the sheet. It may sound more like searing rather than grilling. The result was fantastic. The texture is similar to fried tilapia without being oily.
This recipe might be simple but it sure tastes good. I understand that not all of our readers enjoy fish because of the fishy aftertaste. You can reduce the fishy aftertaste by adding a tablespoon of two of minced ginger in the filling. This will make the fish smell better while reducing its fishy aftertaste.
How do you grill your tilapia?
Try this Grilled Tilapia Recipe and let me know what you think.
Grilled Tilapia Recipe
- 1 to 2 pieces large tilapia, cleaned and gutted
- 2 pieces tomato, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (optional)
Watch the cooking video:
- Combine tomato, onion, salt, ground black pepper, and lemon juice in a bowl then mix well.
- Stuff the mixture inside the cavity of the tilapia. Note: do not overstuff the fish.
- Meanwhile, combine oil with 1 teaspoon of salt and mix.
- Brush the oil and salt mixture on the exterior part of the tilapia. Note: The salt adds more taste while the oil prevents the skin to stick on the foil.
- Wrap the tilapia in aluminum foil then secure the sides.
- Grill the wrapped fish for about 12 minutes per side.
- Remove from the grill and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with ensaladang talong and steamed rice.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4