If you remember, we were able to post a Bopis Recipe over a year ago. I shot the video when I went to the Philippines. Being there made it possible for me to get all the ingredients that I needed. That recipe was dry version of this dish. I constantly get requests from readers here in North America for the version with some sauce using readily available ingredients. This drove me to make this post.
Being outside of the Philippines can limit our ability to cook Filipino Recipes because of ingredient availability issues. However, things should not prevent us from making our favorite dishes. Let’s keep in mind that there are alternative ingredients. We can also omit some ingredients and still come-up with a similar version of our Filipino Recipes.
Most groceries and supermarkets in this part of the world do not sell pig’s lungs for some reason. Because of this, the main ingredient that I used for this dish is only pig’s heart. You can also use veal heart as an alternative. These ingredients are always available in Mexican and Asian groceries. the other ingredients such as dried bay leaves and annatto seeds can be purchased in the same stores.
This recipe makes a good “pulutan”. Feel free to add more chillies depending on your heat tolerance. Since there is a sauce, eating this as a main dish along with steamed rice can get your appetite going. Just a few reminders, if you don’t mind. Take it easy on the rice, If you have diabetes. Try only a small portion of this dish if you have gout. Happy eating everyone!
Try this Spicy Bopis Recipe.
Recipe: Spicy Bopis
- 1 1/2 lbs Pig’s heart, boiled until tender and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup annatto seeds diluted in 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 4 pieces dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
Watch the cooking video:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Put-in the pig’s heart and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed pepper and annatto water. Stir.
- Add the dried bay leaves and pour-in water. Let boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour-in vinegar and allow to reboil. Stir.
- Add carrots,red bell pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6