Chicken a la King is a creamy chicken recipe made from diced chicken breasts, cream sauce, and vegetables. This is served along with (or on top of) bread or pasta. The rich cream sauce is usually made from milk, flour and butter. This recipe is richer than most because of the use of heavy whipping cream.
I know that some of you are intimidated to try this dish. You might be thinking that the cooking process is complex and the ingredients are hard to find. That is what I thought too when I first tried this dish several years back. Well, I was wrong. It appears that this dish is not that complex. All we need is a clear and straight forward Chicken a la King Recipe, which is what we have here.
I love eating chicken a la King on top of puff pastry. The flaky texture of the pastry blends well with this dish. I also use this chicken a la king recipe to make the same dish eaten on top of spaghetti noodles or fetuccine. Enjoy this dish in any way that pleases you. Happy cooking!
Try this Chicken a la King Recipe and let me know what you think.
Chicken a la King Recipe
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup white or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons sherry
- 3/4 cups green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped pimento
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a pan and melt-in 1/4 cup butter.
- Put-in mushrooms. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Put-in chicken, salt, ground black pepper, and sherry. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a sauce pan and melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter.
- Add flour and stir until the mixture forms. Pour-in chicken broth and stir until the butter and flour mixture dissolve. Let boil.
- Transfer the chicken broth mixture to the pan where the chicken is cooking.
- Pour-in the heavy cream. Add thyme, pimento, parsley, and green peas.Let boil and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Arrange puff pastry on a serving plate and top with chicken a la king.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4