Ampalaya Salad or bitter gourd salad is a side dish composed of sliced bitter gourd, red onion, and tomato. This is best eaten with fried fish or other fried seafood dishes.
Preparing Ampalaya Salad is easy. All you have to do is to slice the gourd and onion as thin as possible. Salt is rubbed onto the gourd. This will let the gourd release its bitter flavor while absorbing the salinity of the salt. The mixture is then rinsed in water to get rid of the salt. At this point, all the vegetables along with the tomato are combined and soaked in a vinegar mixture. You’ll need to refrigerate it for a while before serving.
I enjoy having this as a side salad with fried salmon or fried tilapia. This also works well with bangus (milkfish).
Try this Ampalaya Salad Recipe. Send us your feedback.
- 1 medium bitter gourd (ampalaya), thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium Roma tomato, diced and seeds removed
- ½ cup vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt (for rubbing)
- Extra salt to taste
- Rub the salt all over the sliced bitter gourd. Let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Remove the salt by quickly washing the gourd with running water. Drain the excess liquid.
- Combine vinegar, ground black pepper, sugar, and extra salt (if needed) in a bowl. Stir.
- Put-in the bitter gourd, onion, and tomato in a bowl. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and then refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Serve as a side dish for fried fish.
- Share and enjoy!