Do you like tokwat baboy? what part of the pig do you use when you prepare the dish? Usually, pig’s ears and pork belly are used to make tokwat baboy. The meat is boiled or steamed until tender and then mixed with fried tofu along with the other ingredients. This Special Tokwat baboy recipe has the same procedure as the regular Tokwat baboy, but we will be using grilled pork belly (inihaw na liempo) instead of the usual boiled meat.
This Tokwat baboy version taste very good because the grilled pork complimented the other ingredients well. This is somewhat a tokwat baboy and a sinuglaw dish at the same time, less the tuna of course.
You can prepare this Special Tokwat Baboy as a pulutan or even a main dish that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner. Soaking it in the vinegar mixture a little longer makes it taste very good. Enjoy!
Try this Special Tokwat Baboy Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. grilled pork belly, chopped
- 5 (12 oz. total weight) pieces extra firm tofu
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- ¾ cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup cane vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cooking oil
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels. Fry both sides until the color turns golden brown.Let the temperature cool down and then slice each piece into smaller cubes. Set aside.
- Combine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Microwave for 20 seconds.
- Combine pork belly and tofu in a large bowl.Add the onion and scallions. Toss.
- Pour-in the vinegar mixture. Toss once more.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!