This Chicken Siomai recipe is a variation of pork siomai or shaomai. This recipe makes use of lean ground chicken plus additional vegetables and seasonings.
Are you a fan of siomai? If you are, I am certain that you will love this recipe! Those who don’t like siomai will think twice after trying this recipe and can eventually get hooked-up.
This Chicken Siomai is really good! As long as you follow the recipe without adding or subtracting any ingredient — you’ll see what I mean. This goes well with ponzu or toyomansi.
I used my ever dependable 3-Piece Bamboo Steamer to make these delicious Chicken siomai. The steamer is very convenient and easy to use. I also like using this tool that I use to make puto and siopao.
Try this Chicken Siomai Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- ¾ cup minced shrimp
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced white mushroom
- 2 teaspoons chicken powder
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup minced carrots
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- A pack of wonton wrappers
- 4 to 6 cups water
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, shrimp, mushroom, carrots, onion, chicken powder, ground black pepper, garlic powder, salt, sesame oil, and egg. Mix well using a spatula.
- Lay a piece of wonton wrapper in a plate. Scoop about a tablespoon of mixture and place it in the center of the wrapper. Wrap the mixture by folding the sides until the meat mixture is enclosed. Do this step until the mixture is consumed.
- Pour the water in a steamer. Bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile, arrange the chicken siomai in the steamer. Make sure that you grease the steamer using a cooking spray or by rubbing with cooking oil. This will prevent the wrapper from sticking.
- Steam the chicken siomai for 15 to 25 minutes. The time will depend on the size of the siomai.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and chili.
- Share and enjoy!