Inihaw na Pusit with Scallions are simply large squid that were stuffed with green onions (also known as dahon ng sibuyas in Tagalog), skewered, and grilled to perfection. This squid recipe is easy to prepare and takes less than 20 minutes to cook.
I decided to make the chopped onion and tomato a side dish, instead of stuffing it in the squid. The scallions are doing a good job in providing additional flavor to the squid, anyway. I had an ensalada-like side dish composed of tomato, onion, and bagoong alamang. It was an awesome combination that made grilled squid more enjoyable to eat. You can also stuff the tomato and onion in the squid to make this other inihaw na pusit version.
What dipping sauce do you usually make for this kind of dish? I did spicy toyomansi for this dish. It is a combination of soy sauce and calamansi. Sometimes (depending on my mood), I like to have it with spicy vinegar.
Let me quickly talk about the basting sauce, which I think is an important part of this recipe. The sauce makes the squid taste better because it provides flavor that complements the squid. Your grilled squid won’t taste as good if you opt not to use the sauce. The ingredients are simple and chances are that you already have these sitting in your pantry.
Enjoy Inihaw na Pusit with Scallions as a main dish for lunch, or have it as pulutan with a cold bottle of beer.
- 2 large squid, cleaned
- 2 stalks scallions (green onions)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons banana ketchup
- 1 piece lime
- Rub salt all over the squid and then insert the scallions in the cavity.
- Skewer the squid using a long metal or bamboo skewer. Set aside.
- Prepare the basting sauce by combining all the ingredients for the sauce listed above. Mix well.
- Heat-up the grill. Brush the basting sauce on both sides of the squid. Arrange over the grill grate and grill one side for 3 minutes.
- Turn the squid over to grill the other side for another 3 minutes. Brush some basting sauce on the top part of the squid. Continue to grill each side for 2 minutes more or until it is cooked the way you want it. Do not forget to brush the basting sauce every time you turn it over.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!