This apple cake is perfect with brewed coffee. I like the combination for breakfast especially when the cake is still fresh from the fridge. I love to eat cold moist cakes and this is one of those.
To me, this cake version is more of a pound cake. It is the heavy type that should be eaten along with your favorite beverage on the side. The combination of apples and cinnamon is really good. I think that this is one of those cakes that you can make any given day because the ingredients are not hard to find and it fits the budget.
I used Granny Smith apples fresh from the orchard. My entire family went out to go apple picking for the little ones. They enjoyed the activity and the apples. Now we have to make different apple dishes with all the bushels of apples that we got. This is just the start. I might make more apple pies too.
Try this Apple Cake Recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 pieces apples, cubed
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Combine flour, cinnamon powder, sugar, and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well using a wire whisk.
- Using a hand blender or a stand mixer, whisk the eggs on a separate bowl. Stir-in the vanilla extract and oil. Continue to whisk until all ingredients are well blended.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture in step 1 while whisking. Do this until all the ingredients are well blended. Fold-in the apples and walnuts.
- Grease a bundt pan with shortening. Arrange the cake mixture in the pan and bake for 80 to 85 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
- Take the cake out of the pan and arrange in a wide plate.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by combining caster sugar, honey, and milk in a bowl. Mix well using a spoon.
- Glaze the cake with the glaze mixture.
- Chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Serve with coffee or hot chocolate.
- Share and enjoy!