Poached Tilapia in Sour Broth is a light fish dish that I chose to prepare for lunch today. After consuming too much meat and fat during Christmas (and there will be more soon for new year), my body deserves something light and healthy today. This usually goes with rice, but was able to force myself to just have it without any side dishes. It was the perfect light dish to have on this cold winter Tuesday.
Cooking Poached Tilapia in Sour Broth is easy, Start by simmering water in a pot. Once the liquid starts to bubble, gently add the tomato, fresh unripe tamarind, and scallions. I want to extract the maximum flavor from the ingredients, so I simmer it for over 30 minutes.
The tamarind will make the dish taste sour like a mild version of sinigang, while the tomato also contributes to that sour taste. This dish is like a mild sinigang and kinamatisang isda, combined.
It will be best to extract the flavor of the tamarind by squeezing it. I used a lemon squeezer tool for this. Note that we will discard (or throw away) the tamarind pulp after we squeezed the juice out of it.
I removed the simmered tomato and scallions from the pot before poaching the tilapia fillets. These will be added later on before serving the dish.
Gently add the tilapia one by one. Take extra care if you want the fish to be intact. Also, make sure that you monitor the heat of the liquid. The fish might break into pieces if too much heat is applied because the bubbles coming from the bottom of the pot.
I added the long green chili last. You may also add it in the beginning of the process along with the tomato and scallions.
Try this Poached Tilapia in Sour Broth recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 4 tilapia fillet
- 2 ripe plum tomato, wedged
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 pieces unripe tamarind (or kamias)
- 3 pieces log green pepper
- Salt to taste
- Pour water in a cooking pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the tomato, tamarind, and scallions. Cover and continue to simmer for 35 minutes.
- Squeeze the tamarind and discard the pulp.
- Remove the tomato and scallions. Set aside.
- Add the tilapia fillet. Poach the fish for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and some salt to taste.Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Arrange the fish in a serving bowl. Add the tomato and scallions.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!