Baked King Crab Legs with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce is a simple recipe that uses the legs of King Crabs or Stone Crabs. These variety of crabs are found in deep cold seas and are highly priced because of their size and the rich taste of their meat. There is a legal duration to fish for King Crabs (referred to as the crab-fishing months or the crab-fishing season) and currently this lasts for 2 to 4 weeks.
Another factor that contributed to the high price of this type of crab is the extreme danger that the fishermen (or crabmen) faces in the cold deep seas. A real-life documentary was produced by Original Productions for the Discovery Channel called Deadliest catch which documents the events aboard fishing boats in the Bering Sea during the Alaskan king crab and Opilio crab fishing seasons.
This recipe is very easy to follow and does not require a lot of time. All you need are thawed pre-cooked King Crab Legs (groceries usually sell frozen pre-cooked crab legs to extend their shelf life), lemon, butter, EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil as Rachel Ray always say) and some 18 to 20 minutes of your time. We served this delicious meal during Christmas Dinner (Noche Buena) and it was a huge favorite.
Try this King Crab Legs with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce recipe
- 2 lbs King Crab Legs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced (optional)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup butter
- a pinch of salt
- Heat a saucepan using low heat
- Put-in the butter and allow to melt
- When the butter is hot enough, add the garlic and cook for a minute (do not brown the garlic)
- Pour-in the lemon juice and stir then let stand for 15 to 20 seconds
- Pour-in the extra virgin olive oil, parsley, and salt (as needed) then turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Cut the crab legs in half (crosswise) to shorten the length of the legs then make a 3 to 4 inches opening in each leg by cutting one side of the shell lengthwise (the meat should still be intact) using a pair of kitchen shears.
- Place the crab legs in a baking tray then brush the garlic lemon butter sauce on the side where the openings are located
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit then bake the crab legs for 12 to 15 minutes or until the aroma of the crab fills the kitchen
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down then place in a serving plate with the sauce on the side
- Serve. Share and enjoy!