Liver might not be the most appetizing ingredient, but there are ways to make this pleasurable. Grilled Liver Bistek is a dish composed of grilled pork liver cooked bistek tagalog style. It is tasty and great with rice.
I always tell you guys that I am not a fan of liver. However, there are reasons why I am compelled to consume this once in awhile. One reason is its high iron content, which is really helpful to prevent anemia. Instead of trying to avoid certain ingredients that I do not like (but are good to the body), I just develop simple recipes using these ingredients and make sure that the end result is something that I would really enjoy.
Let me tell you what I did to make the liver taste better. I started out by grilling the liver for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. I want to have a bit of smoky flavor to my dish and this also makes the liver less gooey. It was then sautéed in garlic and onion. This will help remove the gamey taste of the liver. The soy sauce and lemon (or calamansi), on the other hand, helps enhance the taste of the dish.
As you can see, this is a simple liver steak – or shall I say “liver bistek recipe” that you can follow. Let me know what you think about it after you tried this recipe.
Try this Grilled Liver Bistek Recipe. Enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Grilled Liver Steak
- 1 lb. Pig’s liver
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- ½ lemon
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Grill the liver for 4 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and then slice into strips.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sauté the garlic and onion
- Once the onion gets soft, add the grilled liver slices. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, soy sauce, and water. Stir and let boil.
- Add sugar. Set heat to medium and continue to cook until the sauce reduces to half.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with warm rice.
- Share and Enjoy!