This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Asian fried chicken or five spice fried chicken is a tasty fried chicken recipe that you can prepare for dinner. This dish is so good and very flavorful. It is best eaten with fried rice.
Usually cook Asian Fried Chicken for dinner because it takes me a while to steam and let the chicken dry. Letting the chicken dry in open air (or sometime in front of a fan) makes it’s texture crisp when fried. This can be done by either hanging the chicken or placing it in an ordinary plate. Make sure that the part with skin is facing up. Asian Fried Chicken goes well with ginger sauce, plum sauce, or banana ketchup.
Try this Asian Fried Chicken Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1/2 chicken about 1/2 to 3/4 lbs sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons 5 spice powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups cooking oil
- Combine 5 spice powder, salt, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Pour water in a steamer. Bring to a boil.
- Arrange the chicken in the steamer. Steam for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the steamer and place in a plate with sliced part facing down. Let the chicken cool down.
- Rub the soy sauce all over the chicken.
- Run the 5 spice powder mixture all over the chicken. Let the chicken dry in open air for 6 hours.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot or deep fryer. Deep fry the chicken in 350F for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with Yang Chow fried rice.
- Share and enjoy!