Sticky Asian Fried Chicken Wings makes a delicious appetizer; this can also be eaten as a main dish with fried rice. Contrary to most people think, making your own Sticky Asian Fried Chicken Wings is quick and easy. I am saying this because I can show you how to make one in around 30 minutes.
Preparing your Sticky Asian Fried Chicken Wings will require you to complete two major steps: frying the chicken wings and making the glaze. Before frying the wings, make sure that the chicken is tasty enough. Do this by rubbing salt and pepper all over it. Give it a few minutes to absorb the flavor before starting to deep-fry the wings. Once the chicken wings are ready, make the sauce by simply adding all the glaze ingredients in a wide pan or wok. Toss the chicken when the glaze is ready. Simple, isn’t it? The recipe below will guide you on the detailed steps that you need to perform.
I tried to do a little Filipino tweak to this recipe by using spicy banana ketchup. I thought that the banana ketchup would give this dish a balanced spicy taste. You can also try to add a teaspoon of Hoisin sauce (Chinese Barbecue Sauce) for a bolder flavor.
Do you have other ideas for chicken wings? Tell us your ideas and even share your recipes by posting a comment below.
Try this Sticky Asian Fried Chicken Wings Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Sticky Asian Fried Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs. chicken wings separated at joints
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tablespoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup spicy banana ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 thumb ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry cooking wine or mirin
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch diluted 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cups canola oil
- Rub salt and ground black pepper all over the chicken wings. Let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Dredge the chicken wings in cornstarch. Deep fry for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the texture becomes crisp. Place the chicken in a plate lined with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by heating a wok or wide pan.
- Pour-in water, honey, ketchup, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, cooking wine. Stir to mix well. Let boil.
- Add the soy sauce and cornstarch mixture. Stir.
- Once the mixture becomes thick, add the fried chicken wings. Toss until the wings are coated.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!