Baked Chicken Nuggets makes a good snack for your kids. Aside from the fact that children love this food, it is also less greasy because there is no frying involved. You are also assured that there are no other filler ingredients. You are sure to enjoy the goodness of one hundred percent chicken breast.
Good chicken nuggets should be tender. Most of the commercially available chicken nuggets are tender because they were made from processed meat. This means that each piece is composed of different ground chicken parts. We don’t want that, do we?
The good news is that you can still make tender chicken nuggets without sacrificing the quality. One of method that I do is to marinate the chicken breast in buttermilk. Here is how it is done.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Start by preparing the chicken. I usually slice the boneless chicken breast in 2-inch pieces. Arrange the cubed chicken in a large bowl and pour buttermilk and squeeze lemon. Make sure that each piece of chicken is coated with buttermilk. This ingredient along with the acid in the lemon helps weaken the protein structure of the meat. This helps make the chicken tender. Marinate it overnight for best results.
Flatten the chicken by pressing against your palm. Season with salt and pepper as desired. You can also add these seasonings along with buttermilk and lemon as part of the marinade.
This recipe suggests baking the nuggets. Preheat oven to 400F. This is around 205 Celsius. Roll the chicken pieces over breadcrumbs until fully coated. Bake for around 15 minutes.
Each piece of baked chicken nuggets is best if the outer part is crisp. I made that possible by coating the chicken pieces in ordinary bread crumbs. You can also use Italian of Panko bread crumbs. You can use your favorite condiment to dip your nuggets in.
Other Ideas for Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Orange chicken has been a favorite dish by many people. Did you know that you can make it using your homemade chicken nuggets? I have a version that makes use of chicken tenders. You may use these chicken nuggets as a substitute ingredient.
Sweet and sour chicken nuggets is also a good idea. Check this recipe for more details.
Try this Baked Chicken Nuggets recipe. Let me know what you think.
Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 8 oz. chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 piece lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken breast into 2x2 inch pieces.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and then pour-in the buttermilk. Squeeze the lemon. Mix well. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 3 hours (The longer it marinates the better the texture gets).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken.
- Manually press the chicken slices to flatten. Roll the chicken over the breadcrumbs. Make sure that the chicken is properly coated.
- Place a wire rack over a baking tray. Make sure that the wire rack can withstand high oven temperature. Arrange the chicken pieces over the wire rack.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes.
- Adjust the oven settings to broil. Let it stay for 3 to 5 minutes or until the color is light to golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!