I love this Orange Chicken Recipe; it is absolutely delicious! Before we start cooking, did you know that Orange Chicken is a dish of American-Chinese origin? There are claims that this recipe originally came from Hunan (a province in china) and was modified when brought here in North America for the purpose of adapting to the American palate.
In my opinion, Panda Express makes the best Orange Chicken. Though it is a fast food chain, most of their dishes are far better than the ones served in restaurants.
This is not the original Orange Chicken Recipe of Panda Express but rather a regular variation similar to the one’s served in Chinese buffets ( just added green onions to make it more appealing). I also minimized the ingredients to make this a budget friendly Orange Chicken Recipe fit for those who want to practice a frugal way of living. I will try to make our future recipes as budget friendly as possible so please stay tuned.
Please tell me what you think of this Orange Chicken Recipe. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Try this delicious dish and let me know what you think.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Orange Chicken
Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 raw egg beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 cup green onions finely chopped
- In a container, put-in the flour, salt, and ground black pepper then mix well
- Dip the chicken on the beaten egg mixture and place inside the container (where the flour, salt, and pepper are)
- Close the container and shake until the chicken is evenly coated with the flour mixture
- Deep fry the chicken for about 7 minutes or until the color turns golden brown. Set aside
- In a pan, put-in the water, soy sauce, vinegar, and orange juice then bring to a boil
- Add the garlic and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the sugar and and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes
- Put-in the green onions and cornstarch (diluted in 2 tbsp of water) then mix well
- Add the deep-fried chicken on pan and cook until sauce nearly evaporates
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!