Pinoy beefsteak is a version of bistek tagalog that makes use of beef skirt steak. It has the same delicious taste and it is simple to prepare. I had a couple cups of rice when I had this, so please be forewarned — this can be an obstacle if you are on a low carb diet (unless you can resist having it without rice).
The skirt steak are usually sliced thinly before being packaged in the supermarkets. If it is not, you can request your butcher to slice it thinner so that you won’t be doing it later on. It will be ideal of the beef is marinated in soy sauce and lemon (or calamansi) for at least an hour. This will make your pinoy beefsteak tastes better because the meat will be more tasty.
Start by heating the oil in a pan or cooking pot. Pan fry the marinated beef and then add the remaining marinade (this is the mixture of soy sauce and lemon in the bowl where the beef was marinated). Also add the garlic powder. Since we want the beef to be super tender, add a cup of water and let the beef cook for a while. You might need to add more water later on if needed. I am also using beef cube to enhance the flavor of this dish. It is a low cost alternative to beef broth and it works.
I like my beefsteak with lots of onion. This was the reason why I used 2 pieces of medium sized yellow onion for this recipe. You can always adjust the amount of onion depending on your preference. Enjoy!
Try this delicious Pinoy Beefsteak recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. beef skirt steak
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced crosswise
- 1 cup water
- 1 piece beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the beef into serving pieces.
- Arrange the beef in a bowl. Pour the soy sauce and squeeze the lemon juice. Mix the ingredients and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Pan fry the marinated beef in medium heat for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- On the same pan,pour-in the remaining marinade (soy sauce and lemon mixture used to marinate the beef). Add water and garlic powder. Let boil.
- Add the beef bouillon (also known as beef cube) and then stir. Cover the pan and cook in low to medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes. Cook longer if needed, but make sure to add more water to ensure that the mixture do not get dry.
- Add sugar, onion, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Note: make sure that there is still some sauce left before serving. If the there is not enough, add a bit of water or beef broth and cook for 5 more minutes before serving.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!