Cansi is the Ilonggo version of Bulalo and Sinigang combined. It is a type of beef soup with a sour broth. Beef shanks are often used to cook this dish. This recipe version is what I use every time I crave for it.
Cansi can be cooked anytime. I prefer to have it for dinner during rainy days. I enjoy eating it with a platter of patis and calamansi with crushed chili. It is best when the soup is piping hot.
A pressure cooker is recommended to make the beef tender within 30 minutes. If time is not an issue, a soup pot can be used. The bulalo or beef shank will need to be boiled in low heat until it gets really tender, which is around 3 hours.
Annatto oil is an ingredient that I want to talk about for the benefit of those who have not heard about it yet. It is a red-colored oil that I made using ordinary cooking oil and annatto seeds. “Atsuete” is another name for annatto. Combining 3 tablespoons of atsuete with 4 tablespoons of cooking oil does this. Pour the mixture in a stovetop and heat it (low heat) until the oil turns red.
In Negros and Panay, the ingredient used to make the broth sour is called batuan (batwan). It is a type of fruit that belongs to the same family as mangosteen. This recipe makes use of my ever reliable sinigang sa sampaloc mix, which should be available anywhere — even here in the US.
This information should be more than enough for you to cook this yummy dish. If you have questions, type it in the comment box below and hit post comment.
Try this Cansi Recipe. Send me your feedback.
Cansi Recipe (Ilonggo Bulalo and Sinigang in one Delicious Soup Dish)
- 2 lbs. beef shank
- 2 stalks lemongrass tied into knots with thick end crushed
- 1 plum tomato wedged
- 3 pieces long green chili siling pansigang
- 3 pieces hot red chili pepper optional
- 7 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion wedged
- 4 tablespoons annatto oil
- 1 beef cube
- 2 20g pack Sinigang sa sampaloc mix
- 3 cups sliced unripe jackfruit
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- Heat Annatto oil in a soup pot or pressure cooker.
- Put the garlic in once the oil gets hot. Cook until the garlic turns light brown.
- Add the beef shank. Cook one side for 30 seconds to one minute. Turn it over to cook the other side for about the same time.
- Pour water. Let boil.
- Add the onion, tomato, and beef cube. Stir.
- Add the lemongrass. Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 30 minutes. Note: if using a regular soup pot, cook the beef in low heat for 2 to 3 hours. Add more water if needed.
- Safely remove the cover of the pressure cooker. Apply heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir-in the jackfruit and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the sinigang mix package. Stir. Add fish sauce. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Cansi