Making your own Cheese Puto at home has never been easier. This recipe will show you how to make it from scratch in less than 40 minutes. This makes a good snack and it can even be eaten for breakfast with a hot cup of brewed coffee. Yummy!
I made this cheese puto using all-purpose flour. Also take note that this recipe does not suggest the use of eggs. It only relies on baking powder to let the mixture rise and be a delightful treat just like what you see in the images in this post..
Speaking about baking powder, please make sure to use fresh baking powder for optimum effect. Branded baking powders that are sealed and sold in the supermarket are ideal. I am saying this because I have had several feedback from other readers when I published the recipe for buttered puto. They mentioned how ineffective their baking powder was. Most of them bought it from their local market (palengke) in the Philippines. Baking powder brands such as Calumet, Clabber Girl, Clover Valley, and Crumford are recommended.
I find a bamboo steamer to be very efficient. All I needed to do was to arrange the molds with cheese puto mixture in it, cover it, and start to steam – no need for any cheesecloth.
Enjoy this yummy cheese puto. This recipe can make up to 7 medium puto. You can double or triple the recipe depending on the number of pieces that you intend to produce.
Try this yummy Puto Cheese recipe. Let me know what you think.
Cheese Puto Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 cups water for steaming
- Pour the water into a steamer or cooking pot. Let boil.
- Sift flour, sugar, and baking powder. Combine in a bowl. Mix well.
- Gradually add the milk while stirring. Continue to stir until the texture of the mixture becomes smooth.
- Stir-in the vanilla extract and half of the cheese.
- Pour the mixture into small to medium sized molds. Arrange in a steamer. Cover and steam for 25 minutes. Top each puto with the remaining cheese. Steam for 5 minutes more.
- Take the steamed cheese puto out of the steamer. Let it cool down.
- Gently remove the puto from the mold with the help of a spatula.
- Arrange in serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!