This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pretty much every Pinoy feast has its share of lumpiang shanghai. This delightful treat packed with savory, meaty ingredients is something most Filipinos can easily stack up on their plates. But can you imagine filling it with the stretchiest, most irresistible cheese? That’s where our Cheesy Lumpia comes in!
What is Cheesy Lumpia?
This is essentially the classic Filipino favorite but with a special ingredient— plenty of delicious, savory mozzarella cheese! This truly upgrades the dish, and it gives it a far more satisfying texture. It also fits perfectly with our ground pork, garlic, bell pepper, and other yummy components.
But other than that stretchy filling, you can also expect a distinctly crunchy outer layer. That’s because we fry the lumpia wrapper to a perfect golden crisp! Come and check out what you will need to make this irresistibly savory dish!
What are the Ingredients?
For the filling
We won’t be needing a lot to make our delicious filling. Firstly, you should have 1 cup of minced carrots. Also prepare ¾ cup of breadcrumbs, 1 egg, and some ground black pepper. For the last ingredient, the quantity would depend on how peppery you want your lumpia to be.
For the rest of the lumpia
You will need 2 lbs. of ground pork for protein, and some delicious savory flavor. Grab 1 onion and mince this. Also have 30 lumpia wrappers, 2 cups of cooking oil, 8 Mozzarella string cheese that are sliced, and 2 teaspoons of Knorr Liquid Seasoning set aside.
How to Cook Cheesy Lumpia
Making the filling
Put your filling ingredients in a bowl. Add your ground pork as well. And then pour your Knorr Liquid Seasoning inside before mixing everything thoroughly.
Assembling the lumpia
Now lay a sheet of lumpia wrapper on a flat surface. Make sure you have cleaned this thoroughly beforehand. Then scoop about 1 ½ tablespoons of your filling. Spread this on one side of the wrapper. Now place the sliced string cheese over the filling. Then cover this with your meat mixture again.
Go ahead, and fold the sides of the wrapper inward before rolling it. Secure the ends with some water. And just repeat this for the rest of your meat mixture.
Frying the lumpia
Get your remaining oil, and heat this up in a wok. Then deep fry each lumpia under medium heat until it becomes a beautiful golden brown.
How to Serve Lumpiang Shanghai
We’ve cooked up a great deal of Cheesy Lumpia! All that’s left to do is to transfer these to a serving plate. It would be best to have some ketchup on the side. But if you prefer this with other condiments, feel free to add those too! Lumpia also works with mayonnaise, and many other types of sauce.
And like mozzarella sticks, you can enjoy this Cheesy Lumpiang Shanghai as a standalone dish. But this can be something you eat with rice if you are looking for a viand.
How to Store
Now what if you can’t finish all of the lumpia you’ve made? This should be no problem because storing your lumpiang shanghai is incredibly easy. First, grab your airtight container. Arrange your lumpia inside so they form one layer. We don’t want to stack these on top of one another. Then just refrigerate this!
But be warned that this should not stay in the fridge for too long. You can expect the shelf life of your lumpia to extend to 24 hours in the refrigerator. But if you are looking for a bit more of a long-term solution, there’s another option for you!
Can you Freeze Cheesy Lumpia?
The answer to this is yes! Just make sure to use freezer-safe containers for your lumpia. And like what we did earlier, arrange the spring rolls in just one layer. This would help make the lumpia last for around 1 month. Alternatively, you can use a resealable bag to store the lumpia. Just keep out as much air as you can from the bag before locking it up, and refrigerating it.
Wasn’t it fun creating some delightful Cheesy Lumpia! Keep scrolling here on Panlasang Pinoy for more appetizing recipes!
- 30 pieces lumpia wrapper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 2 lbs. ground pork see note 1
- 8 pieces Mozzarella string cheese see note 2
- 1 piece onion minced
- 2 teaspoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 1 cup carrot minced
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch see note 3
- 1 egg
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Combine ground pork with the filling ingredients. Add Knorr Liquid seasoning. Mix everything together.2 lbs. ground pork, 2 teaspoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning, 1 cup carrot, 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 egg, Ground black pepper to taste, 1 piece onion
- Wrap the lumpia by laying a sheet of lumpia wrapper on a clean flat surface. Scoop around 1 ½ tablespoons of mixture and spread it on one side of the wrapper. Put the sliced string cheese over and cover it completely with the meat mixture. Fold the sides of the wrapper inward, roll it, and secure the ends. Perform this step until the entire meat mixture is consumed.30 pieces lumpia wrapper, 8 pieces Mozzarella string cheese
- Cook the lumpia by heating the remaining oil in a wok. Deep fry using medium heat setting until the lumpia turns golden brown.2 cups cooking oil
- Arrange on a serving plate and serve with ketchup. Share and enjoy!