Chicharon Bituka are deep fried pig or cow intestine prepared similar to that of Chicharones or Pork Cracklings (Pork Rinds). This dish is usually served as an appetizer or “pulutan” and is best when accompanied with beer. Another popular chicharon intestine is the Chicharon Bulaklak.
Before cooking chicharon bituka, it is important that you clean the intestines with running water for at least 10 minutes. Also, you can boil them more than once to makes sure that they are tender and the odor and other bacteria are removed. When frying,ensure that the boiled intestines are dried-up properly. Frying it with liquid can cause the oil to spatter.
Instead of just having canned tuna mixed with crushed sky flakes (a very easy to prepare pulutan know as dog food) , why don’t you try to make some Chicharon Bituka ? This can be quite time consuming to prepare but this will surely make your barkada and the rest of the drinking buddies happy.
Try this Chicharon Bituka Recipe and then send us your feedback.
Chicharon Bituka Recipe
- 2 lbs. well cleaned intestine from pig or cow
- 6 dried bay leaves
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 16 ounces water
- 3 cups cooking oil
- Pour the water in a large pot and bring to a boil
- Add 2 tbsp salt and vinegar then let boil for another 2 minutes
- Place the intestine in the pot and wait until the liquid re-boils
- Put-in the dried bay leaves and whole pepper corn then simmer for 40 minutes or until intestine is tender.
- Remove the intestine from the pot then drain excess water
- Cut the intestine according to desired length.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt over the intestine. Make sure that it is evenly distributed over all the intestines.
- In a separate pot/pan, pour the oil and heat until the temperature is good for frying
- Deep fry the intestines. Make sure that the texture is crunchy before removing from the pot/pan
- Serve with vinegar and chili pepper dip. Share and Enjoy!