Chicharon Bulaklak with Spicy Vinegar makes a good combination. I liked how the spicy vinegar compemented the crispy pork masentry. It is a great appetizer, and is even better when eaten while having a bottle of beer.
Chicharon bulaklak refers to a part of the pork called the masentery. It is an organ (although I think that it is now considered as an entire system) that connects the intestines with the abdominal wall.
The traditional recipe for spicy vinegar makes use of “tuba”. Since I don’t have the ingredient available at my location, opted for unrefined coconut vinegar and paombong vinegar. I honestly think that it was even better.
This combination makes the best pulutan, as far as I am concerned. However, take it easy on your consumption though as too much of this yummy treat can trigger your blood pressure to spike.
Try this Chicharon Bulaklak with Spicy Vinegar Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Chicharon Bulaklak with Spicy Vinegar
- 2 lbs. pork masentery bulaklak
- a bunch of lemongrass tied into knots
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 4 cups cooking oil
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups Sukang Paombong
- 1 cup unrefined coconut vinegar
- 10 to 15 pieces Thai chili pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 2 thumbs ginger
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the chicharon bulaklak by boiling water in a cooking pot.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the pork masentry (bulaklak) and lemongrass. Cover and boil in medium heat for 1 hour.
- While the masentry is cooking, prepare the spicy vinegar. Start by adding the Thai chili pepper, garlic, whole pepperorn, and ginger in a food processor. Mince.
- Transfer to a large bowl and then add the unrefined coconut vinegar and sukang paombong. Add salt to taste. Stir. Tranfer to a container. Set aside. Note: serve this later with the crispy chicharon.
- Remove the boiled masentry from the pot. Let it cool down. Rub salt all over.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a deep coking pot. Once the reaches 330F, deep fry the bulaklak for 15 minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes (take out from the oil).
- Deep fry for the second time for 3 to 5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Arrange on a serving plate. Serve with Spicy vinegar.
- Serve! Share and enjoy!