This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Some dishes don’t immediately scream holiday spirit to you. Yet one bite and you’ll find yourself with something to celebrate almost immediately! For some, even the humblest and most everyday of meals can become a Christmas tradition. Any meal can become special, after all, when you’re sharing it with the people you love most. That’s why this holiday season, say yes to Christmas comfort food when you make this delicious chicken curry!
Fragrant and undeniably appealing, the allure of chicken curry begins with its irresistible aroma. The dish makes its charms known even before you can lay eyes on it; one whiff of it from the kitchen and everyone knows they’re in for a treat! This is made even more apparent when they finally get to lay eyes on this classic dish. Chicken curry’s bright shades and colors make it a true visual feast. And once you get to take a bite of this dish, there’s definitely no going back! Serving chicken curry this Christmas will for sure win the hearts of all your loved ones.
Christmas Chicken Curry Ingredients
A mixed bag of ingredients comprise this delightful dish. Chicken curry is a classic, with origins in both India and Japan! But our own Philippine cuisine has given a spin to the dish we know and love as chicken curry today. From an array of spices to hearty and chunky produce and protein, there’s just so much about this Filipino favorite to love. You’ll be feeling the Christmas spirit when you combine all of these wonderful elements!
For the curry sauce:
- Coconut milk. The sauce of the chicken curry is arguably one of, if not the thing that makes this dish stand out most. And a large part of it has to do with the nutty richness of gata, or coconut milk! This creamy base for our chicken curry sauce gives it that hint of sweetness we simply adore. There’s no better foundation to a sauce than gata; just ask our many Filipino dishes that utilize it!
- Curry powder. Warm and pleasant, this is what combines with coconut milk to give chicken curry that one of a kind taste. Curry powder consists of a number of spices like cinnamon, ginger, and sometimes even garlic! The result is a complex but ultimately delicious seasoning that makes any dish a hundred — even a thousand times better. Your chicken curry simply wouldn’t be chicken curry without it!
- Turmeric powder. Chicken curry is beloved even more for its bright hues; the yellow shade that simply reels you in with just one look. And we have turmeric powder to thank for that! But turmeric isn’t only golden in the literal sense; this spice comes with numerous health benefits that give your chicken curry extra nutrition. From antioxidants to different vitamins and nutrients, turmeric makes the heart healthy and the stomach happy!
- Knorr cream of mushroom mix. Yes! Just a tablespoon of Knorr cream of mushroom mix makes a world of difference in your chicken curry’s taste. Creamy, umami, and mushroom-y, your chicken curry will never be the same again! And chicken and mushrooms are always a winning combination.
- Knorr chicken cube. This will add to your sauce’s depth of flavor, making your meat more flavorful and breathing even more life into an already vibrant dish.
For the curry components:
- Chicken. Breast, thigh, wing — whatever you like, don’t hesitate to add it! Tender chicken that melts in your mouth is the name of the chicken curry game. It’s a protein that’s lighter than beef or pork but will still manage to give you 100% satisfaction.
- Potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers. These chunky vegetables mix perfectly with your chicken, providing a fun contrast of both textures and flavors! Your chicken curry wouldn’t be complete without these vegetables complementing and absorbing the richness of your sauce.
- Long green peppers. Turn up the heat and give your chicken curry a kick! These long green peppers do just the trick in ensuring your dish’s flavor is as amped up as possible. Think you can handle a bit more heat? Add as many chili peppers as your heart desires!
Now that you’ve got each of your ingredients down pay, let’s cook your Christmas Chicken Curry!
How to Cook Christmas Chicken Curry
As always, the first step is to cook your basic ingredients. After heating oil in a pot, sauté your garlic, onion, and ginger until your onions soften. Then, add your chicken and cook until it turns a nice, light brown. Sprinkle in your curry and turmeric powder, then gradually, add your coconut milk and water. Stir and let your curry and turmeric powder alter the shade of your dish in its entirety. Let it boil, then add your Knorr chicken cube. After covering the pot, cook your chicken curry low and slow for 20 minutes.
When your 20 minutes are up, potatoes and carrots go in next. For 8 minutes, allow your chicken curry so far to cook. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine a tablespoon of Knorr cream of mushroom with half a cup of water. Blend your mix in well, then add it to the pot and stir. Lastly, add your bell peppers and chili peppers, then cover the pot and let it cook for a final five minutes.
After seasoning your dish with salt and ground black pepper, your chicken curry is ready to go! Grab your bowls and serve your Christmas chicken curry to your family! They’re certain to enjoy it.
Let us know what you think of this happy, homey, holiday recipe!
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken
- 1 Knorr chicken cube
- 2 potatoes diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 long green peppers
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Knorr cream of mushroom
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pot. Sauté garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add the chicken once the onion softens. Cook until the chicken turns light brown.
- Add curry powder and turmeric powder. Stir and pour coconut milk and water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr chicken cube. Cover the pot. Cook in a low heat setting for 20 minutes.
- Add potato and carrots. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of Knorr cream of mushroom soup mix with ½ cup water. Mix well. Add mixture to the pot. Stir.
- Add bell pepper and long green chili pepper. Cover the pot and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper. Serve. Share and enjoy!