Crab and Corn Soup and Chinese Spring Rolls are perfect appetizers to make during the Chinese New Year. These tastes great and both are easy to make. I also like the idea that both appetizers complement each other.
I love both dishes. My kids enjoyed eating the spring rolls, while I think that the delicious soup is timely for the weather. It kept warm and cozy. In fact, I had two servings of soup and around 6 pieces of spring rolls. I was still able to leave enough room for the main entrée. I guess that the cold weather is responsible for my appetite.
How to Cook Crab and Corn Pearl Soup
Crab and Corn Soup is tasty and delicious. It is also easy to make. Start by boiling water on a soup pot. I prepare the crab and corn soup mixture while waiting for the water to boil. This is simply done by combining the two 40g packets of soup mix with ¾ to 1 cup of water. Mix everything together by stirring until the powder is completely diluted. Set it aside.
Add the lobster balls and squid balls once the water goes to a rapid boil. You may also use chicken balls or fish balls for this recipe. Cook for 3 minutes or until the balls float. This is your cue to add the crab sticks. Cook it for 2 minutes and then pour the crab and corn mixture.
Tip: Make sure to thoroughly stir the liquid on the pot right after adding the soup mixture. This will ensure that the entire soup will equally thicken.
Finish by adding scallions and ground white pepper.
How Cook Chinese Spring Roll
Chinese Spring Roll is composed of ground chicken, cabbage, mushroom, carrots, and scallions. It is similar to Lumpiang Shanghai, except that this has more veggies and there is no binder used to hold the filling.
Start by cooking the filling. Do this by sautéing ground chicken until it turns light brown.
Tip: Ground chicken can be stickier than ground pork because it has low fat content. It can be challenging to separate it into smaller pieces. A good way to do this is by flipping parts of the ground chicken every few seconds until it gets completely cooked. Divide into small pieces by pushing the tip of a wooden spatula against the meat.
Add the vegetables once the chicken is ready. Start with the cabbage and carrot. The mushroom goes next. This needs to cook for around 5 minutes.
The scallions are added next. I also use Sesame oil to get that nice Asian food aroma and taste. It will be wise to stick to the suggested amount in the recipe. Otherwise, the taste of Sesame oil might dominate. Season with Knorr Liquid Seasoning and ground white pepper.
Now, let the filling cool down to the point that you can handle it with your hands. The next step is to wrap it in spring roll wrappers. I suggest that you watch the video below to see the step-by-step procedure on how to do this.
Deep fry the spring rolls until golden brown. Make sure to not overcrowd the cooking pot when frying in order to get best results.
I think that both appetizers go well with each other. I enjoyed sampling each and even had another serving.
Try this Crab and Corn Pearl Soup and Chinese Spring Roll Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Crab and Corn Pearl Soup and Chinese Spring Roll
Crab and Corn Pearl Soup
- 2 packs Knorr Real Chinese Soup Crab and Corn 40g
- 8 pieces lobster balls
- 8 pieces squid balls
- 3 pieces imitation crab sticks sliced
- 3 tablespoons scallions chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
Chinese Chicken Spring Roll
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 piece carrot chopped
- 3 pieces mushroom chopped
- 3 tablespoons scallions chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 30 pieces spring roll wrapper
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Make the Crab and Corn Pearl Soup by boiling 5 cups water in a soup pot.
- Combine Knorr Crab and Corn Soup mix with 1 cup water. Stir until diluted. Set aside.
- Add lobster balls and squid balls into the boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes. Add crab stick. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the crab and corn mixture. Quickly stir the soup until it thickens.
- Add scallions and season with ground white pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Prepare the Chinese Spring Rolls by first cooking the filling. Heat oil in a pan. Add the ground chicken. Cook until the chicken turns light brown.
- Add cabbage and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add mushroom. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour Sesame oil and add the scallions. Season with Knorr Liquid seasoning and ground white pepper. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Place 1 ½ tablespoons of filling on a spring roll wrapper. Wrap by following the instructions on the video below. Perform this step until all filling are consumed.
- Heat cooking oil in a cooking pot. Deep fry the spring rolls until golden brown.
- Arrange on a serving plate. Serve with Crab and Corn Pearl Soup. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Crab and Corn Pearl Soup and Chinese Spring Roll