Creamy Chicken Pastel is a comfort food, as far as I am concerned. I love to have this warm white rice. We usually make this dish during special occasions.
I made this version extra creamy by adding more all-purpose cream. I really like the idea of having an easy version of chicken pastel without the crust. It makes the work easier without affecting the final outcome. Expect a great tasting creamy chicken stew that you can pair with rice or enjoy by itself for lunch or dinner.
How to Cook Creamy Chicken Pastel
I tried to make this recipe as simple as possible. Beginners should be able to make this dish with ease. The ingredients are also common. These should be available in most supermarkets. People anywhere in the world should have access to the ingredients and they should be able to cook this easily by following this recipe.
Start by marinating the chicken in lime and soy sauce. I am using bone-in chicken breasts. Feel free to use boneless breasts, if you wish. Calamansi is a good alternative to lime. Use around 3 pieces of medium-sized calamansi as a substitute. 30 minutes is the minimum marinating time: the longer, the better.
Saute onion and garlic, and then put the chorizo into the pot. I am using Chorizo de Bilbao. It provides flavor to the dish. A good alternative to this would be Chinese sausage.
Saute the marinated chicken once the chorizo is cooked. Makes sure that the chicken turns light brown before adding water. I also add a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube to give the dish that nice chicken flavor.
Add hotdogs and cook until the liquid reduces to half. You may also add potato and carrots right away. Add all-purpose cream or table cream. Cook until the vegetables are tender. The mushroom and bell peppers can be added after.
I like how the bell peppers provide sweetness and that nice flavor to the dish. The mushroom does the same thing too. Season with salt and pepper.
You may also want to try this other version, which is also superb.
Try this chicken pastel recipe. Let me know what you think.
Creamy Chicken Pastel
- 2 lbs chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 1 piece Chorizo de Bilbao sliced
- 4 pieces hotdogs sliced
- 1 piece potato cubed
- 1 piece carrot sliced
- 1 piece red bell pepper sliced
- 1 piece green bell pepper sliced
- 3/4 cup button mushroom sliced
- 15 ounces all-purpose cream
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 piece lime
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, and lime in a large bowl. Mix well. Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Saute onion and garlic.
- Once the onion softens, add the chorizo. Saute for 1 minute.
- Put chicken into the pot. Saute until the color turns light brown.
- Add water. Let boil.
- Add Knorr Chicken Cube. Stir. Cover and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- Put the sliced hotdogs into the pot. Cook in medium heat until the liquid reduces to half.
- Add potato and carrot. Pour-in all-purpose cream. Cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir-in the mushroom and bell peppers. Stir. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Season with ground black pepper and salt.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm rice. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Creamy Chicken Pastel