Crispy Bicol Express is one of my favorite versions of Bicol Express. This involves making crispy lechon kawali out of pork belly. It is then finished by pouring a rich, creamy, and spicy sauce on top. This dish makes a good appetizer. It can also be eaten as a main dish with warm rice.
This is not your regular Bicol Express. However, it is something that I highly recommend. This version has the same good taste of the traditional dish except that it has a nice crisp texture. It is is composed of two components. First is the crispy lechon kawali, while the second is the spicy Bicol Express sauce. You can prepare these simultaneously.
There are many ways to enjoy Crispy Bicol Express. You can munch on it as an appetizer, or have it as a main dish with a cup of rice. If you love spicy food like I do, try to add more chili pepper for best results.
Let me quickly give you an overview on how this was prepared. First, you will need to prepare the crispy lechon kawali by boiling the pork belly for around 30 minutes. This step is important because it helps make the pork crispy when fried later on. The pork needs to be removed from the pot afterwards to cool down. It is important to rub salt all over the pork to give it extra flavor.
Use the remaining stock for the sauce. Simply add Knorr Ginataang Gulay Recipe mix to the remaining stock and then put the other ingredients as suggested below in the recipe. Lastly, deep fry the pork belly until crispy. I usually double fry it for best results.
Try this Crispy Bicol Express Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Crispy Bicol Express
- Pour water in a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add pork belly. Continue to cook for 30 minutes. Remove the pork belly. Let it cool down.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Bicol express sauce by adding Knorr Ginataang Gulay Mix into the remaining water in the cooking pot. Stir until well blended.
- Add the onion, ginger, and garlic. Let boil.
- Add the long green chili pepper and Thai chili. Stir. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Put the alamang into the cooking pot. Stir.
- Season with ground black pepper. Continue to cook until the sauce reduces to half. Set aside.
- Continue to prepare the pork belly by rubbing salt all over it. Let is stay for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep cooking pot or deep fryer. Once the oil reaches 330F, deep-fry the pork belly for 8 minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Put it back into the pot or deep fryer and continue to deep fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pot. Slice. Arrange in a serving plate. Top with Bicol Express sauce.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Crispy Bicol Express