I always try to avoid fatty food, but sometimes I have to give-in to my cravings. As long as I know my limits, that should be ok. I was craving for liempo and I thought that lechon kawali will be a perfect dish to make for lunch, but I ran out of cooking oil. Instead, I prepared Crispy Oven Broiled Liempo. This dish has the same crisp and lovely flavor as lechon kawali, but it is less greasy.
There are other advantages of preparing Crispy Oven Broiled Liempo over lechon kawali other than it being less greasy; I think that this is also safer to cook. You see, lechon kawali entails the pork belly to be deep fried in cooking oil. There is a possibility for the oil to splatter and unexperienced cooks might be vulnerable to burn their skin. On the other hand, broiling the pork does not put yourself at risk as long as you wear an oven glove when handling the pork.
Try this Crispy Oven Broiled Liempo recipe. Let me know what you think.
Crispy Oven Broiled Liempo
- 2 lbs pork belly
- 5 cups water
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour the water in a steamer. Bring to a boil.
- Arrange the pork belly in the steamer, cover and steam for 40 minutes. Add water as needed.
- Remove the pork belly from the steamer and place in a plate. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Rub salt and pepper all over the steamed pork belly. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil mode and preheat to 510 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the pork belly in a greased oven safe tray or plate. Broil for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Flip the pork belly so that the opposite side will be facing up. Continue to broil for another 12 to 15 minutes or until texture starts to get crispy.
- Chop the broiled pork belly the way you prefer.
- Serve with your favorite side dish such as ensaladang talong.
- Share and enjoy!