This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Oven Roasted Pork Belly is an awesome dish to make using liempo. It is crispy, crunchy, delicious, and easy to make. Check the video below to see how easy it is to make it. If that is not enough, the step by step recipe at the middle of this post will be able to guide you — and if you are still not convinced, send me your questions by commenting. I will do my best to reply quickly.
Before you start, make sure that you have all the ingredients ready. The slab of pork belly can be purchased from your local supermarket. The pork belly will not come in slabs such as this, so you will need to talk to your butcher and request for it. Pork bellies usually come with bones (ribs). It will be great if you can ask your butcher to remove the ribs off the belly. Otherwise, you will have to do it yourself. Save the bones for later use. Since the bones might still have some meat attached to it, you can use it to make a Filipino soup dish such as sinigang. I think that it can be a good idea.
The Shaoxing wine is really important for this recipe. However (and as I mentioned in the video), you can use Sherry cooking wine, Sake, and/or Mirin. I am sure that either of these ingredients will be available somewhere near your location — even if you are situated in the Philippines.
There is also an ingredient called 5 spice powder. Refer to this post for the details. This should be available in Asian or Chinese stores. Most Filipino stores here in the US carry this ingredient. I also used black pepper powder and coarse sea salt.
This dish is best with rice. It can be enjoyed better with lechon sauce (see our homemade lechon sauce recipe), or simply with a spicy vinegar dip.
Try this Oven Roasted Pork Belly Recipe. Let me know what you think, seriously.
- 1 slab 2 pounds pork belly
- 3 tablespoons Shaoxing cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt or coarse rock salt
- 1/2 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 cup coarse sea salt to spread over the skin during baking
- Clean the slab of pork belly and lay flat on a large plate with skin part facing down.
- Pour the Shaoxing cooking wine over and spread.
- Sprinkle salt all over the pork belly. Rub on the meat and ensure that it is well distributed.
- Rub the five spice powder all over the meat part of the pork belly.
- Lastly, rub the black pepper powder the same way as the previous ingredient.
- Turn the belly over. The skin should be facing up. Cover and seal using a cling wrap. Refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove from the fridge. Remove the wrap and arrange in a baking tray with aluminum foil. Fold the sides of the foil until it almost sticks to the belly.
- Using a sharp tool such as a metal skewer or a knife, poke holes on the skin. Make sure that the holes that you create only extends up to the fat part. Do not make it deeper.
- Pour 1 cup salt over the skin. Spread.
- Heat the oven to 390F. Roast the pork belly for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the roast pork from the oven. Scrape the salt off the skin. Place the pork belly on a grill rack and arrange it over the same baking pan.
- Set your oven to broil. Broil for 15 to 20 minutes or until the skin gets really crispy.
- Remove from the oven. Slice and serve with rice.
- Share and enjoy!