Eggplant Parmigiana is synonymous to eggplant Parmesan. This is a rich and delicious baked eggplant dish that can be enjoyed everyday.
This Eggplant parmigiana recipe is interesting because I tried to fry the eggplants until the texture becomes crisp. I also used lesser marinara sauce on top. This will help the fried eggplants on the top layer maintain its texture because less liquid will be absorbed. Of course, the ones below will absorb the sauce and all its delicious flavor. This means that you can enjoy the best of both worlds.
I like to eat this with garlic bread. How about you? What do you like to eat with your eggplant parmigiana?
Try this Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 medium black bell or Italian eggplant sliced crosswise into half an inch thickness
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooking oil vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Lightly season the eggplant with salt. Let it stay for 15 minutes.Juices from the eggplant will be released during this process. Pat the eggplants dry using paper towels.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep pot.
- Dredge the eggplant slices in flour and then dip in the beaten egg .Roll the eggplants right away on the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese mixture. Make sure that every side is properly coated.
- Deep fry the eggplant until the color turns golden brown (about 2 to 3 minutes). Remove from the pot and place in a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the oil.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a baking pan with olive oil. Spread 1 cup of Marinara sauce in the bottom. Arrange a batch of fried eggplants as the primary layer. Sprinkle with some cheddar and Mozzarella cheese.
- Top with Marinara sauce and then arrange the second layer on top of the sauce. Sprinkle cheese and spread some marinara sauce on top.Do this until all the eggplants are consumed. Finally top with marinara sauce and cheese and then bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve with breadsticks or garlic bread.
- Share and enjoy!