Estofadong Baboy or Pork Estofado is a dish wherein cubed pork is stewed in soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic. This resembles the popular Filipino pork adobo, except that this dish makes use of a generous amount of brown sugar to make it sweeter. Pan-fried carrots and saba banana are also added into the dish.
The secret to a good pork estofado has always something to do with the quality and taste of the meat. It should tender and flavorful. This can be achieved by marinating the pork in adobo-like seasonings composed of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and crushed peppercorn for at least 3 hours. I usually do it longer, even overnight if I want my dish to be very tasty.
I think that carrots and banana add more value to this dish. I suggest that you follow the exact recipe even if you can do without these ingredients.
For our readers who are new to Filipino cooking or new to cooking in general, I suggest that you first watch the video located at the bottom of this post, and then read the recipe step-by step to better understand the procedure. Send me your questions or clarifications on the comment section.
If you like this recipe and you think that this can be helpful to others, all I ask of you is to spread the word. Please tell your friends and family about our humble website and YouTube channel. Have a wonderful time cooking!
Try this Estofadong Baboy Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- Combine pork, crushed peppercorn, garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar in a bowl. Mix well. Marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil becomes hot, pan fry the carrots for 45 seconds per side. Remove from the pot. Set aside.
- Pan fry the banana for 45 seconds per side. Remove from the pot. Set aside.
- Using the remaining oil, pan fry the marinated pork for around 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. Note: You may add more cooking oil if needed.
- Put the crushed garlic into the pot. Cook for 30 seconds. Note: This is the same ingredient used to marinate the pork.
- Pour-in the remaining marinade from the bowl and add beef broth. Let boil. Cover and cook in medium heat for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the pork becomes tender.
- Add brown sugar. Stir. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the pan fried carrots and bananas. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Estofadong Baboy