Pork barbecue in bamboo skewers is what Filipino Style Pork BBQ is all about. It is composed of thinly sliced pork pieces that are marinated in a special mixture of seasonings and spices. In the Philippines, it is normally grilled over wood charcoal and dipped in a tall jar of spicy vinegar before eating.
This Filipino Style Pork BBQ Recipe is simple enough for anyone to follow. All I did was to combine all the marinade ingredients with the pork and mix it all together until well blended. I covered the bowl that holds the meat with a piece of cling wrap and placed it inside the refrigerator to marinate overnight. The recipe below indicates a minimum of 3 hours to marinate the meat, but I suggest to do it longer (if you are not in a hurry) to get the best result.
I tried using my portable charcoal grill (instead of my trusted gas grill) to make it as close as the one’s that I make when I was still in Manila. However, I used charcoal briquettes instead if the more traditional hardwood lumps. That is as close as I can get.
I was happy to get the result that I expected. It was a success! I had it dipped in spicy vinegar and ate it with Java rice.
Try this Filipino Style Pork BBQ recipe. Let me know what you think.
Filipino Style Pork BBQ
- 4 lbs. pork shoulder sliced into thin pieces
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup juice extracted from calamansi or lemon
- ¾ cup banana ketchup
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups lemon or lime soda
- Arrange the pork slices in a large bowl.
- Add all the marinade ingredients. Mix well. Cover the bowl and marinate for at least 3 hours. Note: I strongly suggest marinating overnight for best results.
- Fasten the marinated pork together using bamboo skewers.
- Heat-up the grill. Start to grill your Filipino Style pork BBQ for 3 to 5 minutes per side until the meat is thoroughly cooked. Make sure to always baste the BBQ when flipping it over. Note: the basting sauce ingredients are the same as the marinade ingredients minus the lemon soda.
- Serve with spicy vinegar.
- Share and enjoy!