This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ginataang Puso ng Saging is a Filipino dish wherein banana blossoms are cooked in coconut milk (or coconut cream). Protein and seafood such as ground pork and shrimp can be added depending on your preference.
The word “Ginataan” is a Filipino term that means to cook in coconut milk or coconut cream. “Puso ng Saging”, on the otherhand, literally means Banana blossoms.
How to Cook Ginataang Puso ng Saging
This dish is quick and easy to cook, as long as the banana blossoms have been prepped beforehand.
Start by peeling the outer bud of the blossom and discard. Slice the banana blossom into thin pieces. Soak it in white vinegar (you can also add salt) for at least 15 minutes before rinsing. Make sure to wring as tight as you can to let the sap out. Note: soaking longer will give you better results.
Prepare coconut milk by mixing Knorr Ginataang Gulay mix and water until the powder dilutes completely. Set aside. This will be used later in the middle of the process.
Start cooking by sautéing garlic and onion in cooking pot. This recipe makes use of ground pork as a protein ingredient. Add pork and saute until it browns. Add the prepared banana blossom afterwards. Continue sautéing and then add vinegar. Cook for around 2 minutes.
Next, pour that gata mixture and add chili peppers if desired. I am using Knorr Ginataang Gulay mix because it has already most of the flavors that I need. There is no need to add extra seasoning, unless you need to. An example of this is the extra ground black pepper that I added. You can also cook other dishes with it. Ginataang Gulay is one of my favorites.
Continue cooking until the banana blossom gets completely done.
I also like to add shrimp to my dish. When adding it, make sure to cook it within the next 2 to 3 minutes after adding to prevent it from getting overcooked.
This simple dish is best eaten with warm white rice. Have you tried eating this dish before? What do you like most about it?
Try this Ginataang Puso ng Saging recipe and let me know what you think.
- Slice banana blossom into thin pieces. Soak in 1/2 cup vinegar for 15 minutes. Rinse and wring tight. Set aside.
- Combine Knorr Ginataang Gulay Mix and water. Stir until powder dilutes completely. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot. Add garlic and cook until it starts to brown.
- Add onion. Saute while constantly stirring until onion softens.
- Add ground pork. Cook until pork turns light brown.
- Put the banana blossoms in the pan. Saute for 2 minutes. Pour vinegar. Cover and cook in medium heat for another 2 minutes.
- Pour Knorr Ginataang Gulay mixture and add chili peppers. Let boil. Cover the pot and continue cooking in low to medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes. Note: add more water as needed.
- Add shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes. Season with ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Ginataang Puso ng Saging