Ginataang Sapsap is simply butterfish and fresh spinach cooked in coconut milk. I also added chili peppers to make it spicy. This Filipino dish is best served with newly cooked white rice.
If you have tried ginataang salmon and liked it, you will enjoy this dish too.
How to Cook Ginataang Sapsap
Cooking this dish has never been easier. Thanks to Knorr Ginataang Gulay recipe mix, I can make my dish quicker and simpler. There is no need to add seasonings. I recommend this recipe to beginners.
The first thing that I did was to dilute the recipe mix in 1 1/4 cups water. This serves as the coconut milk and seasonings at the same time. Set the mixture aside while sautéing the aromatics.
Aromatics refer to onion, garlic, and ginger. These are called such because of its enticing aroma when cooked. Smelling it while cooking increases one’s appetite
Pour the Knorr Ginataang Gulay mixture into the pan once the onion softens. Add Thai chili pepper and let the liquid boil. The spice from the pepper should cling to the sauce in the process, making it spicy.
Butterfish is flat and not that big. It should take only a few minutes to completely cook it. 5 minutes is enough to completely cook the fish. Simply add into the pan and then cover it.
Vinegar has many uses. I utilize it in this recipe to reduce the fishy aftertaste of the dish. Simply add it along with long green pepper after cooking the fish. Continue to cook for2 minutes and then add the spinach.
There are several alternative to spinach. Malunggay leaves (moringa) is a good example, as well as hot pepper leaves.
This is best eaten with newly cooked rice.
Try this simple yet delicious Ginataang Sapsap recipe. Let me know what you think.
- Combine Knorr Ginataang Gulay mix with water. Mix well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan. Saute onion, garlic, and ginger. Continue sautéing until onion softens.
- Pour ginataan mixture into pan. Add chili pepper. Let boil. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add butterfish. Cover the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour vinegar and add long green chili pepper. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach. Stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with warm rice. Share and enjoy!