This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Menudo has always been my all-time favorite food. I have been a fan of this Filipino dish since I was a child. Healthy Chicken menudo is a variation of pork menudo, except that has way less fat and there are also no livers added. This low-fat and low sodium dish is a good way to start that healthy lifestyle.
I like to sometimes use chicken when making menudo because it does not take long to cook and it is also rich in protein. Aside from the usual vegetable ingredients for this dish (which are carrots and potatoes), I also added red and green bell peppers. There are also raisins, to provide a little bit of sweetness to the dish.
The recipe below and the cooking video should give you an idea on how to cook this healthy chicken menudo. However, I have a few suggestions that might help you make your eating experience more enjoyable.
Let’s talk about sodium first. Chicken menudo is not salty at all; there is no salt involved. The flavor is derived from the marinade, which are lemon juice and soy sauce. If you find the dish to be bland, I suggest that you add a bit of fish sauce, instead of salt. This will give you that umami flavor.
Safflower oil was used to saute the onions. This might not be available in your location. You can use olive oil as an alternative.
Try this Healthy Chicken Menudo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast cubed
- 1 medium carrot cubed
- 1 medium baking potato cubed
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into squares
- 1 small green bell pepper cut into squares
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 to 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 piece lime
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 3 tablespoons Safflower oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Arrange chicken in a bowl.Add lime (or calamansi) and pour soy sauce. Also add garlic powder. Mix well. Let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and pour safflower oil.
- Once the oil becomes hot, saute onion and garlic until onion becomes soft.
- Add the marinated chicken. Continue to cook until the chicken turns light brown.
- Pour tomato sauce into the pan. Stir.
- Pour chicken broth. Let boil. Continue to cook uncovered in medium heat until the sauce reduces to half.
- Add raisin, carrot, and potato. Cover the pan. Cook between low to medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Note: add more chicken broth or water if needed.
- Sprinkle some ground black pepper to taste.
- Tranfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Healthy Chicken Menudo