Do you have an idea on How to Make Bulalo? The video below is special because I got to go to Mahogany Beef Market to purchase ingredients for bulalo or Filipino beef shank soup while filming the experience. The wet market, which is located at Tagaytay City, Philippines, is the go-to-place when it comes to sourcing the freshest and best quality beef South of Manila. I got value for my money and I enjoyed the quick tour, as well.
We have been the Philippines for a month. The entire family had fun and we can’t wait to go back. Part of the trip was for me to visit public markets where I usually purchase ingredients for the recipe videos that I am shooting. This is something that I really want to do for the longest time. Glad all went well. Now, I am longing for more. I think that this is something that I want to do more of in the future, if given the chance.
I got around 3 ½ kilos of fresh beef shank for my bulalo. In addition, I was also able to purchase ingredients for beef papaitan (this dish is mostly known as sinanglaw).
Let’s talk about how to cook bulalo. It is simple. Follow the recipe below and watch the video for guidance. The process is straightforward. However, you will need to ensure two things in order to have a successful dish. Make sure to use good quality beef, and do not be in a hurry. It takes time to develop a masterpiece.
I have no doubts about the quality of the beef that I got. I think that it is superb. Now you know where I will go the get the best beef in the Philippines given the chance. I also shared all the ingredients that I am using when cooking bulalo. I suggest that you give this recipe a try. Your family deserves something good like this at least every weekend. Happy cooking!
Try this recipe on How to Cook Bulalo. Let me know how you liked it.
How to Cook Bulalo
- 7.5 lbs. Beef shank bulalo
- 1 Knorr beef cube
- 1 bunch Napa cabbage pechay Baguio
- 2 pieces sweet corn divided into 3 parts
- 15 to 20 pieces long green beans Baguio beans
- 4 medium yellow onion wedged
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 12 to 15 cups water
- Boil water in a large cooking pot.
- Add beef shank. Cover the pot and boil for 15 minutes.
- Scrape the scums out of the cooking pot. Add whole peppercorn and onion. Cover the pot. Continue to cook in low heat for 2 to 3 hours or until the beef becomes tender. Note: you can use a pressure cooker to tenderize the meat. It should only take around 45 minutes.
- Scoop the fats (oil) floating on top of the soup and discard.
- Add corn. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add long green beans (Baguio beans) and season with fish sauce (patis).
- Arrange the fresh Napa cabbage (pechay baguio) on the serving bowl. Pour hot broth and arrange the beef shank, corn, and long green beans in the bowl.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!